Page 118 of 141 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1403

Thread: The "Looking to become a homeowner" Thread

We have new across the street neighbours who have been putting a lot of sweat equity into their house. I chatted with them about it one day a few weeks back. "The biggest problem we have is getting people to show up when they say they will." Good help it hard to find.

Administrator
    It is. I have to admit that I am happy with the job these guys did, the work appears to be very good, and man, I'm used to the AC taking about an hour per degree I want to cool down the house, it just took it down 5 degrees in less than half an hour, so that's a massive improvement. My only real complaint is how very bad the estimate in time was, but that's how it seems to always be.

Yeah, especially when you’re talking about yanking out old rotten corroded stuffs, until you open it up, you never know what more needs to be fixed!

I had my system replaced a few years back, luckily it was a fairly simple swap. Performance differences are really night and day... you probably can expect some tax credits back, right?

Anyway, I had relatives living in Santa Monica, I remembered that they didn’t need AC back then. Climate sure has changed...

Administrator
    Upstairs unit started failing to keep the place cool yesterday. It was doing okay in the afternoon, but then by the evening the temp was creeping up. Called the HVAC company this morning and they said they were sending a guy out today sometime between noon and 4. In that time, the temp increased almost 10 degrees into the 80s upstairs while the AC ran the entire time. Guy got here at 3:59, turns out they put too much refrigerant in the condenser and that can cause the entire system to overheat and ruin its effectiveness. He bled some off and now the temperature is already dropping back down again.

Hoping now the saga is done, but happy they came out on what turned out to be one of the hottest days of the year and try to sort the installation out.

Also, fwiw, I don't live in Santa Monica, but it was in the mid-90s there today. The highest I saw here in Century City was 95.

Whoah. I was wondering why you were running the AC! My thermostat has been off for weeks (highs around low 80s, low around low 50s).

Yeah, oddly we're experiencing some heat wave this week in LA. High 90's during late October! We should cool down around Sunday though...

Wife is spoiling our cats by setting up a very narrow temp window in our house at around 70s... so we've been using AC during the day and Heat during the night. Thank goodness for solar panels and hope our HVAC system will continue to work flawlessly...

Administrator
    I feel like we get these Santa Anas every year around this time, lots of heat and super low humidity. Sparked a fire just up the road from my work the other day, but thankfully they were able to get it under control before it burned any homes. The nice thing is, it blows a lot of crap in the air out over the ocean, so I can actually see almost to the end of the San Gabriel mountains today.

I'm also immediately canceling any environmental affect I have from biking home instead of driving by cranking the AC when I get home for about 15 minutes, otherwise I'm a sweaty mess.

Sold my apartment on the weekend so in 6 weeks I'll no longer be a homeowner. Hunting for houses now and hoping to be able to get something something smallish in the same area we're in now (lower north shore, sydney). But now I'm on the move again hopefully for the last time until I retire

And new house purchased. No longer homeless and have something which is pretty much a forever (or until retirement) house. Life is wonderful.

https://www.domain.com.au/49-burling...065-2015814989

Congrats dude.