Page 141 of 141 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141
Results 1,401 to 1,403 of 1403

Thread: The "Looking to become a homeowner" Thread

My parents’ house was built in 1928 and my old CA home was built in the 50s. Never had any plumbing leaking issues. Could be because older construction materials were more solid? Or perhaps SoCal had pretty mild climates, no extreme temperatures?

Anyway, now in WA, our neighbor had burst pipe to the washer, which ruined their living room floor. A friend had burst pipe in kitchen which ruin her kitchen floor. Another friend had a burst pipe from an upstairs toilet which ruined multiple floors! All those incidents happened while they were on vacation or out at work…

Our current home was built in 1999. Not really sure what kind of pipe we have, hopefully it wasn’t cheaply built…

We’re thinking of hiring a plumber to install an WiFi controlled water shutoff valve. Supposedly it can automatically shut water off whether if it’s a burst pipe or slow leak.

Of course moving would be the easiest fix, but maybe you can DIY a shutoff valve like that for peace of mind?
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; March 13th, 2024 at 05:49 PM.

Billy, there are multiple shutoff valves(hot water heater, one for each line to the washer, one at the toilet, one under the bathroom sink, one for the outside water and one under the kitchen sink). So that is covered.

I meant a main valve that can sense leaks and automatically shut itself off. I’m still doing some research whether to do this or not, considering what has happened to my neighbor and friends, I thought it could be a worthwhile investment?

Something like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MOEN-Flo...-001/309096191

I wish it has better ratings. That’d make my decisions much easier…
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; March 14th, 2024 at 06:36 AM.