Page 2 of 141 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Looking to become a homeowner" Thread

As a renter, I had no motivation to fix anything though. Manager always took care of it! I also quite enjoy not having to worry about yard work. I think I was quite spoiled as a renter. I was doing more work living with parents!

Yeah, you don't have to fix stuff, but you acquire a sense of what breaks, how it affects you, and how it's fixed - with absolutely no risk. You're also - often - free to do as much as you like or as little, again with no risk.

Also, renting for awhile will give you a chance to get used to stuff like paying bills and buying all of your own food.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Renting is also a test run of "what do I want/hate in a house".
    Things you hate aren't so bad for 6 months, but you don't want in a place you own.
    Moving can be a pain, but it means you are trying different places.
    Think of it as a medium term test drive!

Constructive advice: Be nice to the Radiology Techs.

(That's advice for the job, not looking for a house. )

Just echoing other's points:
    Talk with your folks in an honest fashion... find out if you can stay for a while and pay rent.
    Then rent a small place, and as DN says, find out what you like and don't like.

And, for ME, the opposite of Russ's advice: I'm willing to drive a little further for work and food to live in an area and a home that suits my wants and needs. Plus, rural property can be MUCH cheaper that urban and suburban.

I didn't buy till I was 30+. 20-something me was too irresponsible to know what I wanted or needed.

Roughly speaking, in my area the average home price is around $205K. 20% of that to avoid PMI is $41,000 down. This would result in a base monthly mortgage on a 30-year fixed of $1,150/mo + repairs.

Or I can rent for $950/mo, $500 down, no yardwork and all maintenance included forever.

Doesn't work for everyone but it works for us.

When it comes to renting - yes - you do get the maintenance / yardwork bit... but only if you have a competent landlord. Which many places do not.

I agree -- my previous landlord was slightly shady (downtown studio apartment, $650/mo).

My "new" joint (also site of the first MWGTP party I hosted back in 2001 ) is better serviced, better maintained and much bigger w/. a garage. One must shop around to find AWESOME VALUE.

Quote Originally Posted by GB View Post
    And, for ME, the opposite of Russ's advice: I'm willing to drive a little further for work and food to live in an area and a home that suits my wants and needs. Plus, rural property can be MUCH cheaper that urban and suburban.
    Oh, yeah, if I was looking at a couple acres with a shop and a garage and whatnot, commute time would be secondary (though I might check the typical traffic on the nearby freeway).

But, buying in suburbia, I'd want to minimize the amount of time I spent staring at the back of another car at a stoplight, know what I mean?
    Whoomah!

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    My "new" joint (also site of the first MWGTP party I hosted back in 2001 )
    Ha! I looked at a picture you posted on FB and though, "wow, the kitchen at their new place looks a lot like where we had the party."
    Whoomah!