Page 21 of 141 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Looking to become a homeowner" Thread

The open house was a waste of time, btw. Three couples, no useful feedback.

45 days into the sale, no bites, and only about 20 viewings. This blows.

We have an option to extend our 60 day term to 90 days. Looks like we'll have to.

Finally got an offer and accepted. Only a home inspection to go now!

80% of the time it works 100% of the time!

Report from the front: It appears my garage was built based on non-Euclidian geometry. Not sure at this point if that's by design or not.

Having spent several years in home remodelling, that's not nearly as uncommon as you might think...
    I've floored rooms that had four sides and four corners which I'm certain did not add up to 360* Sometimes I was reminded of Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House -
    Quote Originally Posted by Page 34
    “No Human eye can isolate the unhappy coincidence of line and place which suggests evil in the face of a house, and yet somehow a maniac juxtaposition, a badly turned angle, some chance meeting of roof and sky, turned Hill House into a place of despair, more frightening because the face of Hill House seemed awake, with a watchfulness from the blank windows and a touch of glee in the eyebrow of a cornice.”
    -Formerly Stabulator

Man, I loved that book.

And now I am terrified to work on my garage.

It appears the pad was laid in two stages, and then the garage built on an angle relative to the pad, and walls constructed of varying heights. Because of the "design" (used loosely) nobody will install an overhead door* so I resolved to install sliding ones. I measured out the position of the track hangers last night and if you just look at that track vs. the cross beam it looks like a drunk person did it. But if you measure from track to floor, it's within 1/8" all the way across.

It's going to look goofy for sure, but it's better than the garage filling up with leaves every fall, so full steam ahead.

* They will install one, but only after an engineering review and a center support is added. I don't want to add a center support as I really enjoy having a 20'x24' unobstructed space. Someday... someday... it will be awesome for painting a car.

Buyers called at the fucking 11th hour.... have cleared financing... And then requested a 3 day extension to do a home inspection.

Oh well. 3 more days isn't gonna kill me. Here's hoping.

Wait, banks there don't require a home inspection before a sale?

No. They strongly, strongly advise it though, of course. Almost no one does without it.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Wait, banks there don't require a home inspection before a sale?
    We bought our first place without a formal inspection. City inspection (for code, not condition) and pest inspection are required.
    Whoomah!