Page 41 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Looking to become a homeowner" Thread

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Blarg, crappy plasticy pipes in the wall of bathroom leaking for a month or more and making the wall and floor under bath soaking wet and turning some wall beams into crushable-by-hand wood and a stupidly oversized hole in floor for the bath drain allowing a rodents nest under the bath and large garden spiders to find their way into bathroom and now the suggestion by plumbers to replace all the pipes to get them out of the wall and to replace a section of floor and some boards in the walls which means we have to fast track bathroom renovations which is fine at this stage because we haven't yet looked at the price of a new bath and shower cubicle and so on but i'm sure when we do we will start crying and get fat on chips and icecream until we can't work and thus can't pay the mortgage which will result in having to leave the house which also means we won't have to worry about the bathroom anymore.

Hmmm.

Nah.

Why do people cheap out when doing things to their houses. It's mean to the people who live in there later on. People like that are meanies. They are probably big, and fat too.

We are on the ground floor in a ground unit... All plumbing pipes run through the interior wall right outside our bedroom door... and it's not insulated... and they used plastic pipes. It's louder when my neighbors take a shower or use the bathroom then when we do.

I'm just glad we don't own it. I'd be tearing the wall apart to insulate it. It's that loud.

Oh, and the gas furnace & water heater are in the hallway across from my daughters room. They used slotted bi-fold closet doors to enclose it. Why even bother?

Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid View Post
    We are on the ground floor in a ground unit... All plumbing pipes run through the interior wall right outside our bedroom door... and it's not insulated... and they used plastic pipes. It's louder when my neighbors take a shower or use the bathroom then when we do.

I'm just glad we don't own it. I'd be tearing the wall apart to insulate it. It's that loud.

Oh, and the gas furnace & water heater are in the hallway across from my daughters room. They used slotted bi-fold closet doors to enclose it. Why even bother?
    So... standard early to mid 2000s housing bubble-era condo construction?

Yup.

The single floor condo my buddy owned that I lived in for 3 years pretty much had the same things going on. Furnace and water heater just outside of his bedroom. Washer/dryer was basically just outside of my bedroom (great when I worked nights and he did laundry while occasionally working from home during the day). Cheapass water heaters, of which the one in the unit above us failed within 3 years, and I think one of the two in the first floor/basement duplex down did as well. Oh, and no insulation in the walls, which probably saved the builders less than two grand for the whole 3 story building.

I had an apartment like that, but thankfully the new townhouse isn't like that. There are definitely things they skimped out on unfortunately, but the plumbing, water heater, and insulation are not part of that list.

We've got another offer in on a property. After getting dicked around the first time we attempted to do this, and then not having anything come on to the market in our area and in our price range I was almost ready to give up searching and just make myself content in the rental townhouse we've got. The house we're looking at is a 2 storey, double brick home built in the 1940s. Its got a new kitchen, new bathroom, and upgraded wiring. It will need a new roof and its got a propane fired furnace and an electric water heater. My preference would be for natural gas heat and hot water but its not widely available around here. The homes that have it are just a bit out of reach financially. The sellers have until tomorrow at midnight to respond, so hopefully I have some good news to share tomorrow.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    Good luck!
    What he said!

420502000119000_1.jpg

Suprisingly, there was not a lot of back-and-forth. In fact there wasn't any. The seller's took my initial offer and agreed to replace the roof prior to closing. Thats my new house, I move sometime in August.