Page 50 of 141 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Looking to become a homeowner" Thread

That's what she said?
    Get that weak shit off my track

^^

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Man, that's a lot of hand-dug post holes.
    More! That's just one side of the fence.

Luckily, I appear to live in a swamp, so the ground is so soft you could almost dig it by hand.

My next project is formalizing audio in the garage. I should be working on the garage doors, but having audio out there will make working on the doors easier, so that there's my justification.

My "garage" is weird. I'm sure there is some crazy story, but none of it makes sense. Here's what is looks like from the front:

The garage section is not enclosed - that's what the doors I haven't built yet are for. The middle section is a very deep, very wide area that easily fits two cars, one of which is a 22' long Cadillac. The left section (as you face it) is of similar construction, but not wide enough to fit even one car. It's lawn tractor++. The right section is an enclosed workshop.

What I am doing it installing a Yamaha RX-V367 2-zone receiver in the workshop along with some 4.5" Pinnacle monitors, my rehab'ed Boston 555X speakers in the garage, and a pair of not-yet-selected outdoor speakers on the patio that's to the right of the workshop. There is conduit between the workshop and patio, so that's no big deal. There is no conduit between the workshop and garage and, in fact, it's really unclear how electricity gets from the breaker in the workshop to the garage.

Even weirder, two walls of the workshop are plywood siding, as you can see in that picture. The back wall is... actually... I have no idea what it is. But the fourth wall, the wall it shares with the garage, is lap siding.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=photo%2cjpg

I need a solution for going through that siding, into a wall that I have no information about, and out some drywall at the other side.

I want to use these:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

on a surface mount gang box. Even though it's more connections, it'll make running & replacing speaker wire easier. I already have in-wall/plenum rated duplex speaker cable.

Anyone have any ideas about the best way to go through the mystery wall? Holesaw and pray? Maybe I need one of those super-long drill bits to locate first?

Take out a square of the drywall and look, would be my first step.

PS. I have one of those long bits if you want to borrow instead of buying.
    Whoomah!

Awesome! I will pick up a cut-in gang for the drywall side and see what happens. You around this weekend?

I got my roof redone a few weeks ago. I was told when I bought the house that there were 3 roofs on there, last done about 13 years ago, and I lost some shingles during a day with extremely high winds back in February.

I didn't take any pictures, because it looks pretty much like the old one without wavy/missing shingles. We've had a ton of rain since then, and no leaks, but the smell of asphalt/tar off-gassing is noticeable on the second floor on sunny days.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Awesome! I will pick up a cut-in gang for the drywall side and see what happens. You around this weekend?
    We're headed to the Delta after lunch today and coming back Monday noonish. I can leave the bit out on our front porch?

Don't sweat it - if it doesn't get done this weekend that's fine. I am in no hurry... and, starting this project means moving the Cadillac, which brings up all sorts of other time-consumers. Have fun!