Page 54 of 141 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Looking to become a homeowner" Thread

There are two tracks with three doors each and the doors can slide right or left. There is unfortunately no way to open all three sections of the garage at the same time, but that's just not a concern, there's no need to do that. Any two sections can be open at a time, with the caveat that if both car sections are open there is that 14" unsolvable overhang/blockage by the Falcon. Given how wide the garage is, a loss of 14" is not an issue.

There are so many things I wish I could have done for a cleaner installation, but I was limited by the construction of the building. The eve isn't level with the ground, which limited door height. The assembly of that front crossbeam is suspicious (and part of the reason why a rollup door wasn't possible) and I didn't want to over-lever it which limited thickness of the doors - hence the six holes at the top of each door recessing the hardware. I'm not even sure there is clearance for any trim, but I'm going to try. The doors look pretty bland as they are. We'll see.

I stared at things for a while last night and I have some good (I think) ideas for creating a locking/latching system. Horizontal clearance is again an issue there. I'm going to work on that, I need to secure the surface joints, look into some trim, paint, and maybe insulate the doors with radiant barrier to help keep heat out of the garage. Although, honestly, the engineered siding is so dense it doesn't transmit a great deal of heat. Even at the peak of the heat yesterday the interior of the garage was totally fine. A huge improvement.

So much work to do this weekend!

I was just wondering because it didn't look like there was anywhere for the doors to go 'left' in the pictures. Definitely a good compromise.

Yeah, there isn't. The only way to clear that section with a left-hand slide would be to hang the rails out in space which can't work.

For a long time I've been irked that the door to the workshop is all crowded into the (facing) right corner as it creates a space-usage issue on the inside. In the end that really worked to my benefit, as it gives the doors a place to stack without interfering with access to the workshop.

I've been slowly chasing down leaky sprinkler heads in our front lawn. SO FUN.

Looks like the front corner leak is actually the supply pipe--joy.
    Whoomah!

The Volvo is officially up for sale because I want a hause

I'll probably regret that but *shrug*

At least you live some place where selling the Volvo gets you materially closer to buying a house.
    Whoomah!

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    The Volvo is officially up for sale because I want a hause

I'll probably regret that but *shrug*
    D'oh! Just rent for another year or two...

Even without selling the Volvo I can just save longer for a down payment, but a bigger down payment never hurt anyone.

...but at what cost, man?!