Page 74 of 141 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Looking to become a homeowner" Thread

I guess this goes here?

So. My house is a cool two story built in 1919, and I love it for the gobs of character. Stone basement, stone porch. I love the house.

On of the issues with old houses is the old as shit plumbing. My upstairs bathroom is directly above my kitchen. The old lead plumbing developed a leak at one of the joints. I had a home owners warranty for this exact reason, knowing it was going to fail in the near future.

So it developed a leak, and for the plumber to get access, he needed to drop my cabinets down on one wall and cut up the drywall, and the lath and plaster to remove the old failed plumbing. I am currently replacing the drywall with the professional support of my dad. New drywall = purchasing paint. The current paint is builder beige. Those who own homes know exactly where I am going with this.

I'm not paint my house builder fucking beige.

So begins the joy of selecting paint. I don't like trendy, because in the drop of a hat, your choice becomes dated and repulsive. Making later sale harder to accomplish. Which is what I am thinking about doing in 2-3 years.

I start looking around, and nothing looks like I want it to. I kick in the idea of a back splash to help out. Subway tiles are my jam, and the house age and design would support it really well. I start looking into white subway tiles and black grout. Then my mom sends me a link for a house that has cabinets very similar to mine, with white subway tiles and gray grouting. The grey is kinda trendy, but that isn't a bad thing. Because it allows me to grab a little trend, and mix it with a safe and stable design choice. I think that could be a solid option. For future turnover.

Now here comes the frustrating part.

Part of the issue I had with the kitchen when I bought the house is the terrible layout, and the lack of counter space. First thing we did was pull down and move 2 cabinets to make room for a fridge in a better location. I then bought a bay of drawers to use below said moved cabinets. The kitchen actually has a lot of functional flow now because of that. Downside, is the counter-tops use some formica that would cost me some 400+ dollars to replace a section needed to tie into the bay of drawers. My fix is to use Butchers block counter top to replace the dumb formica that doesn't allow me much design freedom with paints and all.

What initially started as a fix for the old plumbing has pretty much turned into redoing 2/3rds or so of the kitchen. All because of paint.

I'll post photos up when things start happening.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
    From my understanding, it's a repossession, not a foreclosure. A mobile home is chattel (moveable personal property), while a regular house, which in most cases cannot be removed from the land, is real property, which would be foreclosed upon.

Not sure how much of a difference it makes, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Interesting.

I would've drawn the distinction between whether it was financed with a regular installment loan or a mortgage, if I were to be serious about it.
    It depends on if it's had it's axel's removed. (No Rim$ ) If it can be 'moved' then it cannot qualify for a mortgage.
    The problem with mobile homes is that they don't appreciate like regular homes do. There are certain criteria that the mobile home would have to meet to be considered for conventional or FHA financing. I don't remember all of them because I haven't worked on them in probably a decade. But, they are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    What initially started as a fix for the old plumbing has pretty much turned into redoing 2/3rds or so of the kitchen. All because of paint.
    i.e. the joys of homeownership.

Purchased new countertop. Maple butcher block

We had one in our WI house. They are nice. Just remember to take care of them. And be careful of getting stains on it.

I wonder, is it common to lay down wood flooring with no underlay on upper floors?

I've accidentally had minor floods in my kitchen twice (water cooler fuckup, dishwasher fuck up), and in both cases the water has flooded down between the wood, through the original 2x8 floor and pissed all over the basement, including the wiring hanging all over the place. Kinda got me worried. Not sure I'm up for tearing up the whole kitchen area and doing it over either, though... :/

What you think there should be?

If it drips it will dry.

Oh I know, it's just the odd electrical fire I was concerned with, not so much the water itself.

I guess I just figured it would have some kinda membrane like in a basement floor.

Quote Originally Posted by tigeraid View Post
    I wonder, is it common to lay down wood flooring with no underlay on upper floors?

I've accidentally had minor floods in my kitchen twice (water cooler fuckup, dishwasher fuck up), and in both cases the water has flooded down between the wood, through the original 2x8 floor and pissed all over the basement, including the wiring hanging all over the place. Kinda got me worried. Not sure I'm up for tearing up the whole kitchen area and doing it over either, though... :/
    IDK... My current place doesn't seem like it either. I'm on the 1st floor and a leak on the 3rd went to my lower level (duplex). Plus the sound is so bad, I can hear them sweeping the floor on our ceiling.

Yeah well they probably heard Dennis snoring from the basement so take it easy on your neighbors, Kid.