Page 82 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Looking to become a homeowner" Thread

Dang, you guys make deals quickly!

Hope this one inspects okay! Congrats!

Fantastic news, Cam!

That was quick!

Congrats!

Just bought new gutters and gutter shields. Because I live in an a fr was with tons of bigass trees.

Administrator
    Today I learned about supplemental property tax bills. That's the thing where you had no idea this other property tax happens that isn't covered by the escrow on your mortgage payments, then find out you have a month to pay just over $6K. At least it only ever happens once, but ffs.

It's amazing how many people have told Michele and I today "Oh, yeah, that supplemental property tax bill will kill you your first year." Would have been nice if even one of you folks would have mentioned that *before* now.

So, it's almost like a sales tax?

Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid View Post
    So, it's almost like a sales tax?
    It makes up the pro-rated difference between the previous owner's tax bill and the new owner's tax bill. The assessment can only increase past a certain amount when the property is sold.
    Whoomah!

Administrator
    Yep. They were billing me through the mortgage company at the rate the previous owner was paying, which was based on her purchase price, nearly $350k less than mine. At the end of the year, they calculate what you should have been paying given the new purchase price and send you a bill for the difference.

We got a bill immediately after closing. Not sure which is worse...
    Whoomah!

I can't believe they were charging you previous owner's tax rate without giving you any warnings that your rate will go up..., it's not like they don't know the tax rate and your sale price..., why couldn't they at least bill you properly?

Anyway, this is why I usually have myself a hefty tax refund from federal and state so that I'll have money to pay my local government!

This years refund is amazingly sweet because of my solar panels credits! My tax rate ended up to be -1% according to turbo tax!!!! Making me smarter than Donald Trump!