Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RX-7 to return with 450hp twin-scroll turbo 16X ?

RX-7 to return with 450hp twin-scroll turbo 16X ?

The latest episode in the long-running news series 'The RX-7's Return' has been released via the usual channels (Australian car websites)

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/mazd...o-rotary-44652

In the last episode, Mazda were seriously considering a normally-aspirated version of the enigmatic "16X" new-gen rotary, inserted into a compact coupe based on the MX-5.

However in the latest twist, the marketing department point out that while a sensible package, those numbers wouldn't excite the market. So the R&D guys are now apparently testing a 450hp twin-scroll turbo setup, with the aim of producing an outright 911 rival, using a significantly shortened version of the strong RX-8 platform.

The rotary romantics (like me and the people who write these articles) are thinking how great it would be if Mazda were to roll out a lightweight, balanced car with serious power in 2017, 50 years after they launched the original Cosmo.

Will it happen? Who knows, the world economy is growing and Initial D is popular in China, so maybe some well-off Chinese would like a direct successor to Keisuke's famous yellow FD? Hope it does happen, it could be awesome, but I won't hold my breath!

You know, I'm torn. A rotary powered slightly bigger Miata would be a great BRZ competitor - I'd be interested! I can't deny the attraction of a much, um, more car - but can Mazda actually compete with Porsche in the market? I'm not so sure. Fingers crossed either way!

Well, they could compete just fine if they followed their old model of similar performance at 3/5ths the price.

File this one under notgonnahappen.com.

Your link doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
    Well, they could compete just fine if they followed their old model of similar performance at 3/5ths the price.

File this one under notgonnahappen.com.
    That link isn't working for me either, lol.

Junior Potato
    It's 2014. Don't you know that all the sarcastic links are hashtags now?

My only defense is that I'm old!

Considering I not only tweet but I own TWTR stock (which has... shall we say... not made me any money yet), I guess that's not much of an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    can Mazda actually compete with Porsche in the market? I'm not so sure. Fingers crossed either way!
    I suppose Nissan have managed it with the R35, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Mazda could. If they really went for it, which still pretty dubious of.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I saw your medieval bunny post on FB, let me se If I can find you a twitfeed with all sorts of historical oddities like that. Joe L. there as well?
    acket.

@joelatshaw