Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pericarditis

Pericarditis

So, yeah, remember when I wound up in the hospital on Halloween? I felt better for a while, but my symptoms came back over the July 4 week-end, along with a few more freaky new symptoms. The main one was a strange, momentary adrenaline-rush-like feeling when trying to fall asleep. We thought I might have thyroid issues, based on Lori's internet research. Thyroid problems can cause pericarditis. Went to the doctor this week to get checked out. ECG was a little abnormal, indicating mild pericarditis, but labs came back normal. I felt lousy over the week-end and up to Tuesday. Wednesday on, I felt fine. My illness remains a mystery, I guess.

Hope they find out something soon. Feel better, Cam.

What were the earlier symptoms? I have been having that same, sudden adrenaline type feeling when trying to sleep, usually accompanied by palpitations (but not a raised pulse). Saw the doctor, chest x-ray, EKG, blood tests, everything came back fine. It's super annoying/scary.

My initial bout of pericarditis involved mostly an uncomfortable feeling in my chest, radiating to my neck and arms. Other minor, occasional symptoms including tingling in my hands and occasional heart palpitations. The night I went to the hospital, I experienced really high blood pressure, upwards of 150/100, and pulse over 100, despite not doing any activity. I was getting light-headed and had a extreme tingling and feeling of pressure in my lower arms and hands, plus tingling in my feet, on top of the uncomfortable feeling in my torso.

This time, I got the same uncomfortable feeling in my chest, albeit a little more intense and it felt better if I sat forward or stood up. It felt worse if I lied down. I also felt general malaise and even nauseous once. Come to think of it, I remember getting the same fleeting nauseous feeling several times last fall, but didn't realize that it was related until this week. Also, the aforementioned, fleeting, adrenaline-like surge when just drifting off to sleep. I couldn't sleep on Monday night because of it.

Feeling fine since Wednesday. Although, I'm feeling slight symptoms today. I think it may be related to coffee consumption. I had my first cup in a week this morning. Guess I'm quitting coffee.

Your relief of the symptoms when standing or leaning forward creates a mild orthstatic hypotensive setting. You might be having a reaction with the caffeine in the coffee. Have you talked with your PCP about the causative agent possibly being coffee? There may be an underlying condition that is being agitated by the effects of caffeine in your system. It might be as simple as avoiding coffee, or something else. I'll see what I can dig up with my resources. What labs were drawn and done when they were performed?

Also, do you have a BP cuff at home that you could check your pressures and keep a log?

They took a blood and urine sample. What they did with them, I don't know. I've already decided to quit coffee. No, I don't have a BP cuff.

Are your latent super powers finally revealing themselves? Solution: http://www.bustedtees.com/captaincanada
    Get that weak shit off my track

That's what I was thinking too Keith. I hope you get better Cam.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    They took a blood and urine sample. What they did with them, I don't know. I've already decided to quit coffee. No, I don't have a BP cuff.
    Check your PM.

Hope you feel better soon, Cam!