Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Streaming devices.

It used to be there were hardware settings through jumpers and dip switches and the price of failure was something getting fried. Now everything is polarized and automatic. It's not much more than expensive legos. About the worst likely failure scenario is a RAM incompatibility. It's hard to mess up a DIY PC these days.

I was at a friend's house the other day, where he was playing music via FM radio because he had no other source to plug into his combo DVD/surround sound kit. If I had my 3.5mm to stereo RCA cable, we would have been set!
    Get that weak shit off my track

I just learned a lot about Roku from poking around at this site:

www.rokuguide.com

It looks like they regularly update lists of public and private channels as well as have information to educate new users.

I installed a Roku 3 box last night. It only took around ten attempts for it to recognize the Wi-Fi password, and gosh, is that a tedious affair without a QWERTY keyboard. But, finally, after saying the password was incorrect over and over (it wasn't), it finally connected. Any concerns I had about not having fast enough internet for quality hi-res streaming were unfounded. It works GREAT. I also installed the Roku app on one of our iPads, but didn't have time to try the two together. I'm looking forward to messing with it more this weekend and installing some of the channels I read about at www.rokuguide.com the other day.
    Last edited by George; March 13th, 2015 at 08:56 AM.

TOASTER!

Female Masturbatory Aid
    I'm now looking at this as well.

I've ditched the HTPC idea (was fun, but I'm giving the HTPC machine to my brother in law).

The only real thing I need to stream are MKV and FLAC. In fact, those are the only things I need to stream.

Looking at teh WD TV thing, but, dunno.

I think the WD one is the only one with explicit support for those two file formats, but my info could be out of date. Streaming a local library sort of knocks you out of the common solutions and into more specialty devices.

Yeah, I passed my wasted 3TB Barracuda to my messenger the other day. God knows what he's going to do with it, but the drive is pretty much dead, and only had family photos on it, so whatever.

Roku claims to support mkv and flac: http://support.roku.com/entries/4239...annel-support-
    Whoomah!

True, but unless you can put all your media on a USB drive you then need a DLNA-compatible server. At least we live in a time of 6tb hard drives so there's a reasonable chance you could in fact have all your media on a drive connected to Roku via USB!