View Poll Results: Who vill be ze number von Rasing Driver?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lewiski Hamiltonski

0 0%
  • The 'German' whos dad is Swedish and lives in Monaco.

2 40.00%
  • The Smiler

2 40.00%
  • The Whiner

0 0%
  • Comedy option/everyone else.

1 20.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grosser Preis Von Deutschland.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    There are a lot of Ifs to Dan moving to Ferrari, so without going into them, I believe Dan won't left the Milton Keynes outfit (I use their location because the names change so much) before 2017. I personally think Lewis is closer.
    acket.

Hamilton's move to the front was great. Lots of solid racing throughout the field. Ricciardo vs Alonso was fantastic.

Help me out here, because talking to a lot of F1 fans, and "race fans" in general, I get mostly negative responses to my opinion: simple tracks are often the ones that produce the best racing. Relatively speaking of course, I'm talking about layouts that don't have all sorts of stupid, over-complicated sections with double switch-backs, triple chicanes, decreasing radius hairpins and all sorts of other nonsense. Monza, Suzuka, Hockenheim, Spa, etc etc all seem to produce far better on-track action (as in, passing zones, side-by-side opportunities, drafting, etc) than new crap. So why the hell are all modern/new track designs trying their level best to confuse and irritate me?

I think it's shorter tracks with a challenging turn before a good, but not too long straight that really help this generation of F1 cars put on a good show.

Shorter tracks: More chance to get "stuck" in traffic, the slowest cars are probably 2-4 seconds off the pace depending on fuel load. If you add some mischievous start and some battles at the back, the tailenders are caught by the first round of pitstops.

Challenging turns before straight: current generation cars are either really fucking fast in a straight line, or they are Red Bull like: good on curves low on top speed. Mix the two together and voila!

Not too long straights: Sepang and China and Bahrain overstate the effect of DRS. When the straights are not that long, drivers have to work a little more for the overtake, It's not a push button pass anymore.

Anyway, I don't think it's a matter of complicated/simple as Austin, a complicated layout, gets rave reviews from drivers, and neither Degner at Suzuka nor Campus-Stavelot at Spa are of the plant-your-right-foot-down-and-steer-type. I think it's a matter of track designers putting the cars' dynamics first and not like in the last decade of circuit design where commercial interests were favored and thus you had to give some architectural play to The Huge Thing By The Side Of The Track That Is A Monument To The Local Guvmint's Corruption and because there was no other way about it, it had to have long straight and then ninety degree corner (or triple chicane) and then a humongous straight.
    acket.

For what it's worth, I don't put drivers' opinions high on that list either. They look for a DRIVER'S challenge, which stuff like COTA and Abu Dhabi certainly have. I mean in terms of how entertaining the racing is for US.

Oh I like variety, too. But by the same token Spa and Interlagos are both entertaining. One is complicated the other is simple.
    acket.