Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The GTXForums Comics Thread

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fiat500 View Post
    Alan Moore
    Just when you think the old coot has disappeared round the bend. Of his own ass. Something like this appears.

Couple of recent acquisitions...

Also got notification that this puppy is finally on its way to me....
    http://www.amazon.ca/Fear-Agent-Libr..._gw_p_t_1_PXFX

had the thing pre-ordered for about a year!

Wanna Fight?
    OOOOOOH! I love me some Hellboy. Got a lot of arcs in individual issues that I need to re-read as it's been a good few years now.

Currently still up to date with The Walking Dead and Crossed: Badlands. Just took out a sub for the rebooted Rogue Trooper comic too and am working my way through the archive of Dreamscape Transformers comics before diving into the IDW TF output.

Yes! Volume 2 finally arrived!

Red Y: The Last Man. Quite interesting, thought-provocative stuff. Must look out for more Brian Vaughn material, definitely.
    Then I got to finally try Planetary, by Warren Ellis, drawings by John Cassadey, inks by Laura Martin. From a cultural point of view (and since in the past I played the Spirits of the Century pen&paper RPG inspired by it) it was really intriguing... drawing-wise quite a lot less so, and I must admit it lacks the punches of stuff from Garth Ennis, the poetry of a Gaiman but also the finesse of a Masamune Shirow. It was ok, but "as a comic" much less entertaining than I would have expected.
    The almost parodistic rewrite of some iconic heroes of comic history didn't bother me since the focus was anyway on the main characters and on the philosophy behind the opera.

Friend of mine also gifted me with Iron Man Extremis hardcover story. Once again Warren Ellis at the pen, Adi Granov drawing. Honestly? Meh. I expected a grandeur saga, I got a diminutive local story. And the writing is quite mediocre, I have to say. Granov's realistic style is not of my liking, bit too stiff too, but that was minor gripe once the volume proved disappointing.
    Last edited by Blerpa; April 10th, 2014 at 08:13 AM.

There's a comic shop here in "The Peg" called Comics America. The place is pretty nutso - just a huge jumbled mess of awesome geek paraphernalia from comics to toys to games. Everything is crammed onto shelves or piled on the floor creating a labyrinth of narrow aisles full of trip & fall opportunities. I love browsing around the place because the inventory is amazing but under normal circumstances the prices aren't great (hard to beat Amazon in that regard.) However, they have recently undertaken the task of trying to organize the store and in order to create space they've been having some nice sales to clear out inventory. This week its 50% off everything in the store! Sadly, I couldn't find anything really awesome that I was after - had hoped maybe I could pick up a good Marvel Omnibus but none of the ones I was interested in were in stock. So, since I couldn't leave without getting something - I mean 50% off!! (and it's off the US pricing no less which is even better) - I went on a bit of an EC Comics binge and nabbed these little beauties:

Not a bad little haul for $65 CDN.

Right, figured I should ask in here. What animated movies from either Marvel or DC are worth watching? I know there's quite a few. Any recommendations?

I don't know about movies, but the X-Men animated series from the 90's was my favourite TV show for a long time. The serious and mature tone was appealing, and really made it different and unique from most other cartoons.

X-Men Evolution was ok...a little too kiddie.

Haven't watched any other Marvel/DC cartoons.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, available on DVD, Blu-ray and streaming services.