Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The GTXForums Comics Thread

It's all a PR stunt, really.

The ugly incident with this Janelle woman originated at CBR, and clearly Jonah needed to do something to ward off pressure from critics, and probably from advertisers, to protect his company. Being a major outlet for the comics industry, they get quite a bit of traffic, (judging by their Alexa ranking), due to the many personalities associated with the site. Comic writers, editors, etc, have partnered up with CBR, and the site is a jumping off point for many new aspiring talents looking to break into the industry.

Taking radical action like this creates a certain perception of positive change...and perception is everything. Even though everyone knows it'll likely be ineffective in the long-run as the moderators will eventually loosen up on enforcement of the rules, and the trolls will creep back in.

Well, the ongoing 50% off sale at a nearby LCS has once again conspired to do damage to my credit card. This monstrosity is now mine...

$75 CDN. I just couldn't resist temptation as I doubt I'll ever find it for less.

...and OMG this book is outrageous! LOL. I get sorta giddy and light-headed just looking at it. Its a giant book, and none of that Marvel Omnibus thin wavy paper here - this is thick, heavy, lovely paper just like the Fear Agent books. Unbelievably nice!

A few more pics for those interested...

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar

If you get this, then I'd feel sorry for you if I wasn't just as pathetic as you.

The reactions to this plot are largely ridiculous and insane.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Anyone still reading comics?

With Avengers: Infinity War coming up, I thought it would be the perfect time to read Infinity by Jonathan Hickman. The story was from 2013. It was a pretty good and solid story. Definitely very busy throughout. It was also a bit confusing, as I didn't really recognize a lot of the characters. The main reason for reading this was because I wanted to familiarize myself with Thanos' lackeys, the Black Order: Corvus Glaive, Proxima Midnight, Ebony Maw, and a couple of others. They'll be playing prominent roles in the movie coming up.

In a nutshell: The majority of the Avengers go off-world to deal with a big cosmic threat, leaving the Earth vulnerable. Thanos finds out about it and makes an incursion.

Thanos is written very 70's style...basically as a two-dimensional brute, who just wants to kill for the sake of killing. That was annoying, but expected. Most writers not named Jim Starlin tend to write him that way. They willfully ignore the years and years of character developments Starlin made for the character, and revert him back to a power mad killing machine. I would expect that for the Infinity War movie, because it's introducing the character to a new and more broad audience, but in the comics, where the character is already well fleshed out, it gets annoying when they do that.

I'm now going to read Starlin's follow up stories, which will be a breath of fresh air, as he's really the only guy who knows how to write Thanos. Well him and may two more guys, everybody else stinks.
    Last edited by sandydandy; April 3rd, 2018 at 07:00 AM.

Not comics, per se. But I've been looking for something to read that is really light to balance out the school stuff. I've been reading old comic strips online; Calvin and Hobbes, The Born Loser, etc.

Been using http://www.gocomics.com/

hey I forgot all about this thread. Wow...lol

Yup. I read them through Marvel Unlimited. Great deal!