Page 11 of 122 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Did we never make a motorcycle thread?

I stopped into Newport Italian a few weeks ago to check out the Moto Guzzi V7. Probably shouldn't have done that. They have a V7 Special in the reverse color scheme of the Challenger (black with orange stripes).

A V7 doesn't really make sense on paper against a Bonneville, but I bought a Monster 696 that doesn't make sense on paper against the Street Triple, so who am I to talk?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBenior View Post
    A V7 doesn't really make sense on paper against a Bonneville, but I bought a Monster 696 that doesn't make sense on paper against the Street Triple, so who am I to talk?
    I dunno, the Bonneville has more power but also weighs 100 lbs more.

Besides, the Italian choice always makes the most sense... even when it doesn't.
    Last edited by KillerB; January 25th, 2015 at 08:28 PM.

It's actually about 60lbs (~500 vs 440 wet), but it's still not enough to overcome the power deficit.

Well if someone really cares about speed they're not buying either of those bikes.

Or my Monster 696, for that matter. It never did well in objective measures against comparably (and cheaper) priced bikes in comparos, but frequently was the subjective favorite of editors. But part of the reason I like motorcycles (and naked bikes in particular) is the sensation of speed at sane velocities.

Oh, and BMW bikes can make comparable Ducati bikes look downright logical. It's not like BMWs have reliability or cost in their favor

Quote Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
    Besides, the Italian choice always makes the most sense... even when it doesn't.
    QFT

I dunno, I'm given to understand that the V7 is really well balanced and "refined" when compared directly to the bonneville. Plus, they are very sexy looking.

But then I haven't ridden a bike for more than a trip around the block for over ten years, so I've got no idea what might make a bike "refined" these days.
    -Formerly Stabulator

The V7 is known for very smooth, flat power delivery (what a relatively low-revving V-twin should have, really), but most reviews I've read aren't fond of the gearbox or the front brake feel.

However, the 2016 V7 II will get a new 6-speed gearbox, clutch actuation (not sure if master/slave cylinder or what) along with ABS and traction control. If one doesn't feel the need for those, there will probably be some smoking deals on 2015s when the 2016s arrive (in the Spring, supposedly).

I was pretty interested in the V7 for a while, but I ended up with a more modern Italian V-twin in a Monster 696 since the deal was pretty good. Not quite as much character as a V7 with it's transverse V-twin, but still more than the other bikes in it's class. I also had mixed feelings about a dry clutch in Chicago traffic since I was used to a wet clutch bike.