Thread: Did we never make a motorcycle thread?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My sister is here from Zimbabwe, in Lincoln, Nebraska. Some young leadership thing hosted/ sponsored by the Presidents Obama and Nelson Mandela something something something. Look at the map. It's almost straight up from Dallas. Eh, why not. Took off, hung out with her the day before the whole thing started. Next day took off for Mt Rushmore (i'm "in the area, right?") Endured hours and hours of rain. I stopped somewhere when the side winds got too powerful. Somewhere in S Dakota I stopped again and bought some cheap waterproof boots at Walmart.

South Dakota is fucking gorgeous. The country side is prairie or forest. Rolling hills dotted with lakes and streams. Thick dense forest. And the roads, those curvy badlands roads are a joy to ride.

Anyway Mt Rushmore was very touristy. I found the Crazy Horse memorial to be more spiritual, more authentic. Sturgis is ghost town when it's not a weekend or bike week. I was not whelmed.

Hustled home and banged my right foot/ big toe against something in Oklahoma. For a second few minutes I thought I had broken it. A car had changed lanes in front of me, and I broke one of my cardinal rules by not immediately braking to maintain a good gap. It straddled something in the road, I saw it last second, swerved to avoid it, but caught my foot on it. Holy hell. Instant pain.
    I stopped at the first gas station, minutes before they closed, bought some ice, asked for atrashbag, and iced that puppy for a good hour. I had my meds with me so I took a painkiller and anti inflammatory as well. I needed to get home so I mounted up and got home at about 3am. Iced it again.

I could put weight on it the next morning, though it was still swollen. It's better again today, but still swollen but less so than yesterday.

Bike has 11XXX miles on it. I'm sending in my third payment for it tomorrow. Have bike, will travel.

IMG_20190623_123730340.jpgIMG_20190623_123730340.jpg

Edit; bagged five more destinations in my "around the world in the USA" tour as you can see one in the picture; Gothenburg, Malmo, Wellington, Geneva and Prague. Perth and Rome, sadly, are unincorporated communities that don't have a sign announcing you've arrived, otherwise It would have been seven. I nearly went up to North Dakota to bag Rugby, Munich and Hague.
    Last edited by neanderthal; June 27th, 2019 at 09:19 PM.