Page 116 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1213

Thread: Did we never make a motorcycle thread?

Well done!
    Havent ridden the 1000, but spent a bit of time on a Z900.

Im a few inches taller than you, but about the same leg size. I did get tired of managing a taller bike and moved to something more my size. Ok it took almost 20 years before I did that!
    Enjoy and great work on the bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by retsmah View Post
    As you can see from the above post, I am all for small two cylinder Kawasakis with side and top cases! The Versys X seems like a pretty awesome little bike.
    The bike is not little, though. Only the engine is little.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    All the better to "slow bike fast" it.

Whatever you want to call a sub 400lb, sub 500cc bike!

People know I am a cyclist. Why are they all of a sudden concerned for my safety? (Rhetorical question.)

My wife doesn't like me having a motorcycle, but had no problem with me commuting by bicycle in Chicago.

That being said, I'm pretty sure that motorcycling is substantially more dangerous than pedalcycling, even if motorcyclists are disproportionately likely to die in single vehicle crashes.

Junior Potato
    People know I am a cyclist. Why are they all of a sudden concerned for my safety? (Rhetorical question.)
    Or how hot/cold/wet it is on the bike today.

My answer: if it was too hot/cold/wet for me I would buy a car.

The big difference in safety between motorcycle and bicycle when you are on roads - is other people.
    With a motorcycle you can control a lot more, like your spacing and position relative to other vehicles.
    On a bicycle everyone is going faster and many will pass very close. Its mostly out of your control if someone runs you over from behind or sideswipes you.

Junior Potato
    On a motorcycle you control the throttle. And most of the people who fall off motorcycles twisted that little black thing on the right a bit too much and ate the dirt.

For motorcyclists, the rider is their own worst enemy. On a bicycle, everyone else is their worst enemy.

Between the two forms of transport, the exposure is the same (lack of metal between you and your obstacles) but the ability to gain speed is different.

The worst thing, is suddenly people are concerned for your safety, whereas they weren't when you were sweating it on your treadly.

The throttle is definitely one thing but spacial awareness is key to surviving on a motorcycle on public roads. I am a firm believer that “most” motorcycle accidents are either the riders fault or preventable with intelligent, mature riding. Let’s set aside the assclowns doing 100mph wheelies, passing in the median blah blah. I have heard the “an old lady pulled out in front of me” story a thousand times. Even from seemingly experienced riders. 9 times out of 10 if they would have looked ahead down the road, scanning the entry points, they would have seen a car preparing to enter the highway. Assume they do not see you and prepare yourself. Don’t trundle along at the speed limit assuming you are obvious.

I would probably be hated by most bikers who have been in accidents because I would ask them to think about what they could have done to avoid it. Most think they did nothing wrong...which might be true. But what additional steps could they have taken to identify a situation about to occur?

I went through my assclown stage and managed to survive several crashes on sport bikes with no major injuries. All my fault. I worked at a shop for 20yrs and I’ve seen and heard it all.

Yes some accidents are unavoidable but most, even ones that technically weren’t the riders “fault” could probably still have been avoided. Shit, even at stop lights I would constantly be watching my mirrors to see if the approaching cars were slowing at a rate that I knew they saw me...if not I would start to pull forward or around the car in front of me just in case.

Sorry but ride like you are invisible and you will live longer.
    Last edited by JoeW; February 19th, 2020 at 03:05 PM.