Page 100 of 100 FirstFirst ... 50909899100

Thread: Did we never make a motorcycle thread?

I need to get one of those Russian dashcams.

Today I was driving my car in rush-hour traffic on a five-lane wide interstate highway. Traffic suddenly slowed, as it often does, rubber-band style. You guys know the drill - speed up, slow down, crawl for a while, then speed up again, only to have your hopes and dreams of efficient travel be dashed against the blacktop as traffic slows down yet again.

We had just come to a near stop again when I was scared half to death by a guy on a dual-sport motorcycle who blew by my passenger side window with just inches to spare.

Almost immediately, traffic in my lane and the next one over came to a complete stop and turn signals came on up ahead. We all had to merge over one or two lanes, since shit-for-brains caused a four-car accident just a few car lengths ahead of me. I was too busy trying to get around the wreck to study the positions of the cars that were directly involved to guess how it went down, but I hope that jerk gets what he deserves from the long arm of the law. His selfish behavior affected dozens...no, hundreds of motorists this morning by blocking 40% of the northbound lanes on I-25 during rush hour traffic.

While some things are legal in Colorado, lane splitting is not.

Legal or not, it’s something were you need to use skill and good judgement - things often lacking from many road users.
    And even if the law doesn’t get him, his insurance surely will.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I need to get one of those Russian dashcams.

Today I was driving my car in rush-hour traffic on a five-lane wide interstate highway. Traffic suddenly slowed, as it often does, rubber-band style. You guys know the drill - speed up, slow down, crawl for a while, then speed up again, only to have your hopes and dreams of efficient travel be dashed against the blacktop as traffic slows down yet again.

We had just come to a near stop again when I was scared half to death by a guy on a dual-sport motorcycle who blew by my passenger side window with just inches to spare.

Almost immediately, traffic in my lane and the next one over came to a complete stop and turn signals came on up ahead. We all had to merge over one or two lanes, since shit-for-brains caused a four-car accident just a few car lengths ahead of me. I was too busy trying to get around the wreck to study the positions of the cars that were directly involved to guess how it went down, but I hope that jerk gets what he deserves from the long arm of the law. His selfish behavior affected dozens...no, hundreds of motorists this morning by blocking 40% of the northbound lanes on I-25 during rush hour traffic.

While some things are legal in Colorado, lane splitting is not.
    It ain't legal, but you drivers tend to think of it from only your perspective, in your car, than look at the bigger picture.
    There was a study that was done that concluded that if 10% of drivers rode a motorcycle or took public transport, congestion would decrease by 40%/. Think about that for a minute. Imagine a picture of a clogged freeway, then magically, make random cars disappear in a poof of nothingness until you've taken 10% of them off. Suddenly there's a lot more space, no? Less congestion. Higher average speeds. That's effectively what motorcycles do.

Lanesplitting takes cars off the road; i'm literally one less car driving to work every morning. Not only that, it's easy to see around most bikes meaning you can respond to the traffic ahead of the bike because you can see their brake lights around the rider. And, by lane splitting, i'm taking up and utilising "unusable space" (space that's there but otherwise not available to cars) making/meaning even more room on the road. And getting 50mpg.

I have coworkers who comment that they see me passing them on the road every day, but it hasn't "clicked" yet for them, that they could do the same thing. They start work AFTER me but have to leave home before me because of traffic. I work before them but can leave home after them and still get to work on time because of lane splitting.

Sure, the lane splitter was breaking the law. I am not arguing that. But if you hate sitting in traffic you should think about having your legislators legalise lane splitting. That would take some drivers off the road and give you a little more space. Lotsa riders on advrider.com who abhor lane splitting. And quite a few who've been in that same camp, then were in California and tried it and are now believers.

Done properly, you see cars in the carpool and number 1 lane edge over a few inches to let the bikes by. Happens everyday on my commute. That's inches, not feet, and they remain in the lane for the most part. Some go all the way out of the way. And each bike that passes every car on the 405 is one less car on the road.

Edited to add this screed I posted on a motorcycle forum somewhere else. On a post about possibly legalising lane splitting in AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal
    Those of you residing in AZ should be contacting your representatives regularly. And telling your fellow riders, friends and neighbours to advocate on your behalf as well.
    Tout the benefits;
    * each bike is one less car on the road.
    * lane splitting allows a vehicle (bike) to use non usable space on the road
    * both the above reduce congestion
    * all the above reduce tailpipe emissions; more vehicular traffic actually moving rather than crawling or idling
    * bikes occupy less space on the road, ie; two bikes next to each other in the same lane use the same space as one car (I don't really advocate that myself, but the lawmaker needs to see as many pluses as possible!)
    * you can easily see around motorcycles at the traffic ahead
    * rear end crashes constitute the 2nd highest accident type involving more than one vehicle.
    * fewer fatalities if motorcyclists can filter to the front of the traffic at lights and stop signs.
    * if passed, more people might be more inclined to ride, reducing pressure on the road systems, while allowing the same number of commuters to use it.
    * that ^ more efficient use of the roads is like adding a lane of traffic to the roads, but without the construction, the delays and especially the costs of actually adding a lane to the roads
    * etc etc etc

Sure, drivers aren't expecting bikes to pop up between them, but then again, lane splitting only really requires that drivers stay in the center of their lane, and the biker can squeeze in between the cars if they feel comfortable doing so. In other words, done properly, lane splitting doesn't require anything extra from the drivers, just that they do what they should already be doing.
    Last edited by neanderthal; May 12th, 2018 at 12:14 PM.

Junior Potato
    Once I start lane splitting, I can never look back.

Usually because I'm dodging mirrors in traffic, which come from in front.

Nothing to report other than crossing 20000 miles on the second AT last week. Had it since Aug 25 2017.

Fantastic bloody bike. Last week I went to Perris (March Air force Base environs for an aircraft museum) there's a railway museum thereabouts too that I went to, then I headed to Borrego Springs too see the sculptures. Lovely road from Temecula to Borrego Springs, cross a mountain road and come over the crest to see the desert laid out before you. Magnificent magnificent sight.

IMG_20180505_161202589.jpg

Took a few pics of the rusty iron

IMG_20180505_172516693.jpg

IMG_20180505_165751043_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180505_165343468.jpg

IMG_20180505_170034688.jpg

IMG_20180505_170323514.jpg

IMG_20180505_171902567.jpg

IMG_20180505_164810442.jpg

IMG_20180505_165040450_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

then headed to Mecca which is one of my destinations in my "around the world in the USA" tour

IMG_20180505_183241347.jpg

then came home. Right around 12 hours of saddle time. Incredible day.
    Last edited by neanderthal; May 12th, 2018 at 12:26 PM.