Page 102 of 122 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1213

Thread: Did we never make a motorcycle thread?

Junior Potato
    Well, the 690 KTM is a sexy beast, especially in 690SMT or Duke R guise.

Imagine a new single cylinder sportsbike like the old Ducati Supermono.

Junior Potato
    I just found out that a friend of mine on another forum has purchased this exact bike. The one in the photo. It was featured in this article: https://bikereview.com.au/classic-co...-vfr750r-rc30/

It was part of a collection, who my friend got to know through historic bike racing in Victoria. It's low km, still has its original front tyre (which is being replaced before being registered again and, yes, used on rare rides for recreation) and is almost like brand new. Apparently it is among the cream of the crop of RC30s, which are 30 years old this year, because it comes from the first production batch that had 118hp, up from the 86hp of the US version.

Had a "use it or lose it" situation with my vacation. Needed to get tires and I had a set stashed in LA. Wanted to see mum in Phoenix, maybe do Four Corners and the Grand Canyon.

But, ultimately, I had a friend in Seattle who I needed to go see.

Saddled up. Diversion to Marfa TX too see the Prada store, then on to PHX. Got there at midnight, hung out with mum much longer than I intended and left for four corners at about 2pm. At the point i'd already decided i was going to skip the Grand Canyon. About an hour away from 4C, getting gas, i'm checking directions on Google one last time and I see that it's going to be closed by the time I get there. I, ... didn't even know it closed.
    Anyway, turned around and headed to LA, via the Hoover Dam, so really via Las Vegas. Arrived LA about midnight, slept then got up and got my tires changed.

Went to CSUN to coach rugby one last time, went to my old club San Fernando Rugby to play touch rugby one last time, went to the Springbok Bar to hang out one last time, and managed to catch some friends there. had a good old time.

Left LA at 5:45am and arrived Portland at midnight. Left the day after to go to Seattle. Left Seattle the next morning to come back home.

Let me tell you; Seattle to Dallas is a long way on a motorcycle. This is why they invented airplanes. I was so cold that I stopped twice in the first four hours to hide from the weather and get warm. As someone who's always lived in the south I don't really pay much heed to the weather. Well, it approached and surpassed freezing on the bike, once you account for wind chill. That was miserable. Heated grips are now on the farkle list. I'd left my "winter" gloves at home in Dallas.

Stopped in Salt Lake City to see another friend. Left at ten and stopped just outside Denver because there was some ominous noises from the bike. I noticed some kinked links in the chain so I bought some oil and lubed the f### out of the chain, every single link. Rode around the gas station parking log and it was better but not gone. Oiled the chain some more then took off. I was trying to get back to Dallas as soon as possible so I could have a day or two to actually rest. Nope. Didn't feel right so I stopped at the next truck stop and tried to get some sleep in the lounge. yeah. Right.

At the dealer the next morning, first thing, they spotted the problem; excessive sag in the chain. They didn't have one in stock but adjusted it as far as they could. Left at about mid day and arrived in McKinney at 2 am.

Long ass journey. 5000 miles maybe? [I checked, it is 5000 miles] Chain issues notwithstanding the bike performed flawlessly. My ass didn't enjoy the last few days though.
    I still lament the atrocious fuel economy at anything over 75. I had to stop and fill up every hour. Getting 30mpg from a motorcycle is no bueno.

But, even with a high average speed I didn't get a single ticket. The Gods were smiling in my direction.

None of my bikes have ever gotten great gas mileage, except maybe the F4i. But a quick glance at real world data suggests it only gets high 30s. The R1200CLC I currently have gets low 40s; not bad for a 700lb bike.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    None of my bikes have ever gotten great gas mileage, except maybe the F4i. But a quick glance at real world data suggests it only gets high 30s. The R1200CLC I currently have gets low 40s; not bad for a 700lb bike.
    In LA (warmer temps, longer journeys, more traffic (traffic going the same way has a marginal increase in FE I was astounded to discover!) commuting, I used to aim for and get about 50mpg on my indicated display which was usually closer to 52 once I divided the fuel consumed by the distance travelled. I use the fuelly app every stop. My readout was just a little pessimistic. Longer trips at higher sustained speeds it would be 45- 50mpg.

This trip was seriously all highway, with panniers. I was in the dirt for maybe 100 meters in the 5000 miles.

Here in Dallas my average has gone down a little. I have a shorter commute, not nearly as much freeway (LA had 10 miles of freeway) and the highway I use to maximise my FE has traffic lights.

A parts guy at my BMW mechanics (when I daily drove my 2002) had an old Harley he said he got consistent 60mpg in. And he commuted with it. I called bullshit but homie lived in Little Rock just outside LA and there are a ton of long uphills and downhills from there to LA/ the Valley on the 14 freeway.

Junior Potato
    Well that de-escalated quickly.

Anyone see that Harley has announced the pricing and some spec information for the new Livewire?

30k, 110 mile 'combined rage'

Also some reports of the costs to install the right chargers being into the 6 figures for the dealers. Online backlash has been pretty immediate from the non koolaid drinkers. Zero does the same or better for more than 10k a bike less.

Zero has tried a couple of times to come to Australia and failed each time. I was keen on one, but expensive, dealer was almost a full change away and now no dealer or support!
    Harley has a large number of existing dealers and a huge number of owners and potential owners.
    The big question is... will this bike appeal to Harley owners? Will people wanting electric be happy to have a Harley?

We have seen Porsche do very well selling SUVs, something that was not their core business and Id say most of these people are proud and exited to own a Porsche. So much so they could be called a SUV company that also sells sportscars.

Can this be the same for HD? Can they sell electric and owners will be proud of their Harley? I dont think its a big leap to guess that most existing Harley owners will scoff at these bikes and their owners.
    It just seems so at odds with the rest of their image, I really struggle to see how it can work.
    Im a little surprised they havent done something like re-use the Buell name to give it a small amount of distance. Maybe they expect the HD name to help it, but I think its going to hurt the brand more than help.

Better bikes have been doing what Harley's do for 1/3 the price for decades.