Page 113 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1213

Thread: Did we never make a motorcycle thread?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    Who gives you free tires and why?
    lol

My bike (Honda Africa Twin) comes with street biased tires but is marketed as a "round the world" adventure bike. Buyers fall for the hype and almost immediately put on Continental TKC 80s or similar. Leaving a lot of barely used street tires in my size available. Most of those people then try to sell the tires. To which people like me say "no thanks." Or only buy them if they're ridiculously cheap. After a year of the tires just taking up space in the garage they then offer to give them away. In which case I say "hello friend, i'm so glad to finally meet you."

This is my third AT, all 3 had a second set of tires installed, so that's at least 3 sets, (the first bike actually got a second set of take offs installed) plus the two sets I have in the garage right now. Altogether, i've paid $170 for all of the replacement tires i've installed on my bikes. $20. $100. $50. And four free sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    I find over 40C really tough going.
    I once rode home from beach in shorts. Got about 15 mins down the road and as I got away from the coast the temps rocketed. And I melted.
    "wind chill" works in reverse at those temps. I also worked out that its better to have covered skin. Thought my shins were going to melt and peel away.

Glad you enjoyed some nice lanesplitting - feels extra good value when the weather is hot/cold as you dont want to be stuck in traffic with the weather sucking.
    I'm literally ready for someone to challenge me with "you can't do that!" I'm gonna say "its 100 and hell degrees out here, don't be a cunt."

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    I learned early on, anything over 90F being covered head to toe was Paramount for survival. The sun will melt you, and the heat will radiate off of the asphalt and concrete. It's brutal without being covered.
    I always stop at the Palm Springs Costco on my way back from Phoenix. I swear Palm Springs is hotter than anywhere else on the planet. One time my temp readout read "--" yeah, two dashes.
    When I got home I read that that's the bike telling you "dude, what the fuck!?!" (122*F or higher.)

A couple of times i've stopped there on the verge of heat stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    Yeah, it's around those temps speed doesn't help.

The only relief is right after having to stop, when all the sweat evaporates.
    Yep.

Your skin temp is generally 92*F, so anything higher than that, you're not really cooling your skin with airflow.
    Which is one of the reasons why I always wear all the gear. (lived in "the valley" in SoCal, mum lives in Aridzona, I now live in Dallas. All known to get over 100 consistently.)

In really hot weather, wet your t shirt, put on your MC jacket over that. The jackets keeps the hot sun off your skin, and stops the t shirt from drying out too quickly. I keep a neoprene balaclava in my backpack for my head on absurdly hot days. And it surprisingly takes the bite of the wind out on very cold days. (cold is relative, I know. But I lived in sub saharan Africa, then LA my entire life. Be kind with my descriptions of cold.)

*to be fair windchill on a bike can knock 20*F off ambient temps.
    Last edited by neanderthal; September 4th, 2019 at 01:46 PM.

Lucky you. Those TKC80 look barely street legal. I wouldn’t put those on my bike unless I was doing 90% dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    I find over 40C really tough going.
    I once rode home from beach in shorts. Got about 15 mins down the road and as I got away from the coast the temps rocketed. And I melted.
    "wind chill" works in reverse at those temps. I also worked out that its better to have covered skin. Thought my shins were going to melt and peel away.

Glad you enjoyed some nice lanesplitting - feels extra good value when the weather is hot/cold as you dont want to be stuck in traffic with the weather sucking.
    I re-read that. "Windchill works in reverse at those temps." So very apt. Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    Lucky you. Those TKC80 look barely street legal. I wouldn’t put those on my bike unless I was doing 90% dirt.
    They're actually surprisingly competent on the road according to everybody. Even in the wet, which is NOT what you expect from a knobby tire. Their only consistent knock is poor tread life.
    If Conti can manage to increase their tread life by 50% (it's brutally short, something like 3- 5k miles) then it's over for everybody in the 50/ 50 market.
    I think even the magazines opt for them when they're doing reviews of adv bikes.

I generally get about 15000 miles out of the stock tires, for reference. I also ride like an old lady.

I guess the adventure bike tire market is pretty slim in that way. No one will be dragging bags on those bad boys in any inclement weather. I'd personally probably put a set of Metzeler Tourance NEXT or Karoo Street on there

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    lol

My bike (Honda Africa Twin) comes with street biased tires but is marketed as a "round the world" adventure bike. Buyers fall for the hype and almost immediately put on Continental TKC 80s or similar. Leaving a lot of barely used street tires in my size available. Most of those people then try to sell the tires. To which people like me say "no thanks." Or only buy them if they're ridiculously cheap. After a year of the tires just taking up space in the garage they then offer to give them away. In which case I say "hello friend, i'm so glad to finally meet you."
    And then said riders go on to use their TKC80 shod ADV bikes as upright sport tourers and on mild dirt roads that they could've handled with their stock tires anyway

The hum of knobby tires on asphalt is mesmerizing.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    lol

This is my third AT, all 3 had a second set of tires installed, so that's at least 3 sets, (the first bike actually got a second set of take offs installed) plus the two sets I have in the garage right now. Altogether, i've paid $170 for all of the replacement tires i've installed on my bikes. $20. $100. $50. And four free sets.
    Praxis

Quote Originally Posted by TheBenior View Post
    And then said riders go on to use their TKC80 shod ADV bikes as upright sport tourers and on mild dirt roads that they could've handled with their stock tires anyway
    But they look really rugged and macho and over achieving when they get back to Starbucks.

Some of them ARE maniacs though. Mud pit/ bog to just below the headlight. That's a hard no. I'm not trying to drag a 500lb bike out of a mud pit because my intent overestimated my ability.