Page 117 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1213

Thread: Did we never make a motorcycle thread?

Junior Potato
    You get it

The only crash that is truly unavoidable is where a meteorite smashes into the back of your head and you fall off. Everything else is on you to fix it before it becomes a problem.

My accident was 100% avoidable, and my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    The only crash that is truly unavoidable is where a meteorite smashes into the back of your head and you fall off. Everything else is on you to fix it before it becomes a problem.
    And as much as you can avoid/minimise risks of people turning across you, it can be near impossible to avoid a head-on if the other person just pulls onto your side of the road. Sometimes there is not enough time to react and closing speed is too high, its going to be a serious incident.

I got aux lights in stalled on my bike about a month ago when I decided to get heated grips installed. The kit I bought had battery terminals on the wiring loom, and of course that's how the tech installed them, direct to the battery.

I must've left the lights on because this morning my bike refused to start.

And when I took the tool box off (it fronts as a battery cover as well) there were the two wires connected to the battery. OE lithium iron battery is a tiny job, approximately the size of four cigarette boxes stacked back to back with another one lying on top of them. $600. Eff that noise.

Yes.

I called around and located a similar size AGM battery that was $50. Eff ya!!!. It weighs a little more, but i'll take the slight weight penalty and keep the $500.

I'm gonna make my own wiring loom that mimics the factory one, complete with wiring for the light on the dash, and make them install it when they do my next major service. Honda wants about $100 for literally $3 worth of wire/ connections and a $5 relay. I've already got OE the switch they want $60 for.

Nothing new on the bike front. It's my only mode of transport (hence heated grips and lights. I had a long tour to Cincy, New York. Philly, Hotlanta, Ft Myers, then back to Dallas planned for this Easter week. Got friends and fam. in those places, but corona.) so it got new (old) tires. New to me but taken off someone else's Africa Twin. I don't argue with free. They're Dunlops, which i've had before. They're not as good as the Bridgestones Honda uses now, but, again, I don't argue with free. I have another set waiting to go on when this one is worn. I should probably start scrounging around for the next set of free, barely used OE tires. I love that everyone buys this bike and immediately throws on 50/ 50 dirt/ road tires. I'll take those supposed to be 90/ 10 OE ones off ya hands mate!

----

Oh. I've been using foam ear plugs to cut wind noise (great) and helmet speakers (not so great) to listen to music. The ear plugs diminish all sound and I could barely hear the music.

Decided to try the new bluetooth buds everybody has been using lately. Wanted a set with auto noise cancelling, but they're pricey (+$200) and I wanted proof of concept first. Bought some off Amazon (MPOW T5) for $50 after reading a comment/ review that said since the ear bud is in your ear canal and it's kinda sealed that's almost like a form of noise cancelling. Eureka!
    The short of it; I can hear the music. There's some wind noise still, but I can hear the music clearly.

The long of it. The fidelity, the clarity of the sound out of those tiny buds is incredible. Bright highs, deep pounding bass lowdown, incredible sonic definition. A somewhat meh mid range (by comparison to the brilliant bass and treble) but the complete phonic sound stage is so good that I realised i've been singing some of the lyrics wrong on songs and albums i've been playing for 30 years like Tracy Chapman's Fast Car. Which is actually a nod to the goodness of the mids since that's where vocals generally lie, but the highs and lows are outstanding!

I have since bought two more pairs for my cousin and a lady friend.

The next gen Samsung Buds are supposed to have Active Noise Cancelling so i'll probably try those when they come out. No, i'm not buying the $300 Sonys that are supposed to be the best ANC bluetooth ear buds in the game right now. That's a bridge too far.

How Not To Get Out Of A Speeding Ticket.

The comment "he's an angry ilttle guy. Must be a south pole elf" literally had me choking. I had to sit up and then take an antacid. Seriously.

I do not understand people like that.

Like I get angry pretty easy, but I never take it out on someone else, especially when it's my own damn fault.

Some credit goes to that officer for taking it in stride and just laughing at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    I do not understand people like that.

Like I get angry pretty easy, but I never take it out on someone else, especially when it's my own damn fault.

Some credit goes to that officer for taking it in stride and just laughing at the end.

Makes me wonder what is/ has gone on in his life to make him so angry. I'm gonna stay away from short jokes.

Junior Potato
    I dunno if I posted about it elsewhere, but a few months ago I decided a career change was a good course of action and that I would become a motorcycle license instructor.

Today was fun. I rode my Tuono to the riding school. During the day I rode a few dozen laps of the training range on Honda CB125 Deliveroo machine doing demos for students.

Then I got on my Tuono and rode home.

Then after I'd had a poo and some late lunch I needed to pop down to the supermarket so I decided to hop on my long-dormant (but definitely not forgotten) GSX-R750 and blatted to the shops via the servo.

I am happy to say that the ol' Gixxer still bangs if you give it a fresh splash of fuel and let it warm up a bit. Compared to the Tuono it has no torque, but a neighbourhood-friendly quiet little L4 note from the exhaust

Nice!
    Hope the career change works out

Junior Potato
    I received word yesterday that the insurance assessor has decided to write off my Tuono. The damage bill is pushing $15k so is just not worth repairing. I did a good job on it!

I have a market value policy with my insurer and the assessor will be quoting a smidge over $19,000 to be paid to me, less any fees or excess. I paid $17,500 for it, so that's a damn fine deal if I don't say so myself. It covers me for everything I paid, including the commission fee when I applied for the initial financing.

So the budget for a new bike is in the $19k ballpark, but I have a choice: buy another Tuono identical to my last but with less mileage (most likely option) for $19k, or look for something else like for example an older Ducati Streetfighter, and pocket the cash difference to use at my discretion, either to pay down the loan or go on a holiday... New Zealand looks like a nice option when the travel bubble opens up.

Who knows? Options! Exciting!