Page 2 of 122 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Did we never make a motorcycle thread?

Pretty much my daily routine...

So instead of doing the litany of work that my Suzuki GS550 could use (seat cover, regulator/rectifier, stator, pod filters, carb dyno tuning, rear shocks) that I also don't have time to do myself, I'm strongly considering buying a leftover new 2013 Ducati Monster 696. Getting more power, modern brakes (with ABS!) and suspension, fuel injection, better fuel economy, less weight, and adjustable levers for my stubby fingers is looking pretty appealing, even if the valve adjustment intervals are pathetically frequent compared to other modern bikes.

Last edited by TheBenior; October 19th, 2014 at 11:32 PM.

Junior Potato
    Is this the thread where I brag about how I walked around for days last weekend on Philip Island with my hugely rampant penis poking out of my pants because I was watching MotoGP and Rossi won the race?

It was awesome!

Yes!
    And then I'll remind you I rode a motorbike thru the Alps to go to the race at Mugello.

Didn't go down to the island this year, but it's always good (and cold and usually wet)

So I'm dead set on joining the ranks of the two-wheeled by the end of the year. Going to schedule my basic rider course (mandated in FL) when I get back from Austin, and have been scouring the craigslists for a first bike. Used Ninja 250 or 300 is where I'm leaning. There seem to be quite a few under $2500 (well the 250's anyway). Been wanting a bike since I was like 8. Had a dirtbike as a teenager, and as soon as I got my license I wanted to get a sportbike.

of course.

massive overtime at work and a pay raise have me looking at about 3 bikes i could simply drop cash on through Craigslist. however my car is in need of repairs and i have nowhere to store a motorcycle over the winter. storage is also my biggest issue even during riding season.

still going to keep saving through the winter and see what spring brings though.

Judging by what cheap bikes are going for on CL now, spring brings a doubling of asking prices.

I took about half to a third in trade compared to what I could have gotten in a private sale on my GS550 come spring. But, between shelving, a work bench, my car, lawnmower, snow blower, and 1 motorcycle, my garage is pretty tight already.

there really doesn't seem to be much spring markup that happens here. though it doesnt hurt that the bikes i'm looking at aren't exactly the in demand ones. i'd say 90% of the bikes here on CL are either Cruisers or Sport bikes. a supermoto, dual sport or even a street fighter bike doesn't seem to catch most peoples attention.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    Used Ninja 250 or 300 is where I'm leaning.
    Good bikes, but... so nerdy.

Is there an engine size/HP restriction for learners where you are?

I hate to be too suggestive, but I reckon the best (or most fun) bike to own if you're stuck with a 250cc engine is a dirtbike with fairly grippy road tires on it, like a supermoto. Learn to ride and get some confidence on a bike that is easy to ride, easy to fix and cheap to repair.

I have found that having a 'nice' bike with shiny newness all over it is a chore. If I was starting again I'd own a more beaten-up old bike and save some frigging money, and a hooligan supermoto would be the weapon of choice.

I also love two-strokes, and the other week I spotted a gentleman upon a very luxurious KTM 300EXC fitted with 16" spoked rims and delicious Pirelli Diablo Rosso Supercorsas that had hardly any tread on them. Oh and it had a great big expansion chamber on it that sounded like death's chainsaw.