Page 21 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Did we never make a motorcycle thread?

I guess KTM didn't have enough bikes for the survey? I wonder where they would fall.

Also, apparently the 2015 S100RR has been having break-in issues (though that doesn't factor into this survey).

I've never seen KTM's sales statistics broken into different markets, but I doubt they sell many street bikes in the US. I saw a fair number in California, but around the Midwest, I've seen more Moto-Guzzi motorcycles than I have KTM street bikes.

Still, it's an improvement over last year's survey, which, IIRC, only got enough responses from Honda, Yamaha, H-D, and BMW owners.

Not really a surprise that the JDM marques score highly, reliability is what they've hung their hat on for the past few decades.

I was surprised that BMW was worse than Ducati by a substantial margin.

I didn't really get the Yahoo headline though. Even the Harley guys I know don't think that H-D beats the Japanese brands for reliability.

Well to Victory, the highest scoring American label.

Junior Potato
    KTM would rate abysmally. Of all the KTM owners I know, not many of them have had trouble-free riding. And parts availability through normal channels (warranty or insurance claims that go through KTM Aust rather than grey market spares from overseas) is fucking shithouse.

Their bikes are brilliant. But as far as owner satisfaction goes; 5/10 would not bang.

Junior Potato
    And a curiosity from me; if the Jap brands are so reliable, why are they all between 10 and 15 percent? To me that's a lot more than I expected, which was 5 or below.

Is there an equivalent list for cars made by Honda and Suzuki, as well as Toyota, Subaru, Mitsubishi etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    KTM would rate abysmally. Of all the KTM owners I know, not many of them have had trouble-free riding. And parts availability through normal channels (warranty or insurance claims that go through KTM Aust rather than grey market spares from overseas) is fucking shithouse.
    I've heard similar things about Husqvarna in the US market, which I guess shouldn't be a surprise given their parent company is KTM.

And before that it was BMW

And I would guess failure/problem rates for motorcycles are just higher than cars. They're lower number, lower R&D, higher-strung machines, mostly.
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; April 12th, 2015 at 08:18 AM.

I find that list odd. In a review on the 1299 Panigale, the reviewing company made the mention that the Hondas they have been testing have been breaking more than the Ducatis lately. They also mentioned the Hondas have not been breaking more often, just the Ducatis have upped their game considerably.