Page 3 of 122 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Did we never make a motorcycle thread?

i'm not aware of any restrictions on motorcycle sizes for new riders anywhere in the US(i may be wrong though..) and 2 strokes are almost illegal beyond the little 49cc mopeds.

incidentally Indiana is about to start requiring the 49cc scooter riders to have a special license/permit to ride them. http://www.in.gov/bmv/3220.htm this is the result of various accidents involving scooters. (not to mention the 150cc ones are hard to tell from the 49cc ones at a glance)

Quote Originally Posted by Drachen596 View Post
    there really doesn't seem to be much spring markup that happens here. though it doesnt hurt that the bikes i'm looking at aren't exactly the in demand ones. i'd say 90% of the bikes here on CL are either Cruisers or Sport bikes. a supermoto, dual sport or even a street fighter bike doesn't seem to catch most peoples attention.
    Ah, now that you mention it, I remember UJM prices are a fair bit lower away from the 'itching-to-make-half-assed-cafe-racer-hipsters' of Chicago. I forget that outside of large metropolitan areas, there's large swaths of the country where it's all Harley-Davidsons, Japanese sport bikes, and dirt bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Is there an engine size/HP restriction for learners where you are?
    This is America, where elderly men who haven't ridden in 40 years are free to buy 1700cc, 900lb Harley-Davidsons, and 18 year olds are free to buy GSX-R 1000s so long as somebody else is foolish enough to co-sign their 2.99%/60 month loans, because FREEDOM! Hell, I suppose it sounds absurd in other countries that my starter bike was a 550cc (albeit one with a 475lb wet weight and a big 50hp which gave it a power-to-weight ratio inferior to my car).

No restrictions, other than money, and I figure it's a good idea to ride something slow to (re)learn. I'm not planning on shiny new at all, definitely used.

Something dual purpose like that was also on my mind, but where I live there's really no need for a bike that can do more than pavement.

the 250's seem to be all the same price range nearly regardless of miles and age (to an extent of course) which makes me think I wont lose too much on it when I sell it in a year or two for something with some power.

I also wonder if bike sales in FL might actually follow an inverse relationship to what you guys are talking about and right now they are probably at peak prices, everyone wanting to get out and ride now that it's cooling off.
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; October 29th, 2014 at 07:23 AM.

'99-'08 Suzuki SV650.

Can be found for cheap all over, big and knowledgeable fanbase, sold naked or with fairings (SV650S), great handler, good on gas, has a V-twin which is easier to start and learn on, and the bike will grow with you. If you get to the point where you can melt sidewalls and drag knee on this bike, you will still be keeping up with or ahead of most skilled riders on bigger bikes.
    Last edited by novicius; October 29th, 2014 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBenior View Post

This is America, where elderly men who haven't ridden in 40 years are free to buy 1700cc, 900lb Harley-Davidsons, and 18 year olds are free to buy GSX-R 1000s so long as somebody else is foolish enough to co-sign their 2.99%/60 month loans, because FREEDOM! Hell, I suppose it sounds absurd in other countries that my starter bike was a 550cc (albeit one with a 475lb wet weight and a big 50hp which gave it a power-to-weight ratio inferior to my car).
    And HD has tapped into that market with their "Live The Lifestyle" marketing campaign. Nothing says freedom and individuality like Harley's conformity.

Our learner limit is 660 but with power/weight limit. Was 250 many years ago.

Getting a popular first bike makes it easier to sell.
    Definitely do some training, more than just the min requirement. There is a fair bit to learn.
    Also find someone you trust to ride with. Someone happy to go your speed and help you.
    Id suggest avoiding group rides till you have some experience. They are fun, but can easily turn bad for new riders.

The most important thing is ... JUST DO IT

Yeah, I'm pretty comfortable with the actual operation of the bike from my dirt bike riding. But riding on the road in traffic will be new, as would a lot of power, and going over like 45.

First thing. Motorcycle safety foundation beginner course. Sign up now. The hot new thing is supermoto. They are a hoot and super easy to ride due to the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    First thing. Motorcycle safety foundation beginner course. Sign up now. The hot new thing is supermoto. They are a hoot and super easy to ride due to the weight.

2nd thing; ATGATT. All The Gear, All The Time. Helmet, Gloves, full motorcycling suit with back protection, riding boots.

Not leathers. Not work boots. Not mechanics gloves. Kevlar lined motorcycling shit. That's what you want.

MSF and ABATE both run training courses here. 3 good things about them. training for beginners, waiving of DMV riding test(as the course does the testing) and depending on the insurance company a rate discount.

cost here isn't bad, i'm probably going to take one next spring/early summer whether i can afford a bike or not. considering i've never ridden one before i figure its a good way to get a bit of time on one.