Page 46 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Thread: Did we never make a motorcycle thread?

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    No you're right -- there is next to no Triumph here.
    Locally, I think Triumph really needs to try harder. The Chicago Ducati/Triumph combo dealers have 50-100% more 2015 Triumph inventory sitting around than they do Ducati.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    Weather is 48 and sunny. Bike is still in pieces. *taps foot impatiently as he waits for parts to show up*
    18F and snowing here. Maybe I'll go slap on the larger RAM X-Grip I bought for my jumbotron Nexus 6.

Depo$it paid.

What do you guys recommend/ use for helmets. I like the Schuberth C3 but not the $800 price tag.
    Also taking jacket/ glove recommendations.

Cheers

For helmets, the most important thing is to wear what fits you and doesn't cause painful pressure points after 20-30 minutes. A properly fitted helmet should feel uncomfortably tight until it breaks in, but not painful. The main things you're getting with more expensive helmets is better fit/finish, aerodynamics, and more exterior shell sizes. Independent tests generally show that expensive helmets don't necessarily protect you any better than cheap helmets in probable street impacts, and sometimes do worse. I just replaced my old Nolan N85 ($250 msrp) with a Shoei GT-Air ($579 msrp). With the European versions, the cheaper Nolan actually does better in the UK SHARP testing of side impacts than the Shoei. However, the Shoei offers multiple shell sizes, better aerodynamics, and better overall fit/finish. Most importantly, the Shoei's internal shape is better suited for my narrow/long head shape. I don't really think that Arai or Shoei are necessarily worth the extra money, but most other helmets are made for rounder head shapes than mine. You also can't necessarily trust listed size charts, so again, try before you buy.

For general features, I like having a pinlock visor insert to reduce fogging and an internal drop down sunvisor so that I don't need to swap shields or put on sunglasses.

For gloves, I'm pretty satisfied with my Dainese Carbon Cover STs. They've got palm and pinky sliders, and only have venting along the sides of the fingers. You may want more ventilation; they work for me even in summer because my hands barely sweat and get cold easily the rest of the year. You'll probably want to try on gloves before you buy. Some models/brands may have quirks like say, oddly long thumbs. I've got a pair of perforated leather Icons for hot weather around town riding, but I really like the extra sliders and thicker leather of the Daineses if I'm doing highway speeds.

I'd recommend a mesh textile jacket with a removable windbreaker liner given your locale, or perforated leather if you don't mind spending 3-4 times as much. I've been pretty satisfied with my Firstgear Rush for summer riding, and use an AlpineStars Scout for fall/spring riding.

I'll echo everything Ross said.

I personally feel like the aerodynamics is a pretty under looked aspect for helmets. With your fairing, you'd be able to skate a little easier than I can on my naked.

I didn't go on the highway with it, but riding in wind gusts up to 69mph did leave me with the impression that my Shoei GT-Air slips through the wind better than my old Nolan N85 did. Venting works a lot better, too.

Cheers.

Textile jacket with removable inner liner. Black with reflective piping. Bought
    Helmet. Modular. Can't remember the name. Bought.
    Gloves. Given free with purchase.

I decided to not go all out with a Kliim Jacket, Schuberth helmet etc. I'll upgrade to better stuff if I feel the need or once I start doing long long rides where the expense will also mean far greater comfort. As for until then i'll just be commuting (currently ~20- 25 minutes by car) and practising.

So, my dealer called me today and told me that my bike is scheduled for delivery at the end of August? WTF? Yes, August.

This is a bike that was supposed to come out late last year, then early this year, then spring (still officially spring) and mine, which was ordered in a special almost secretive pre order window in early February, is scheduled for late August.

I've gone from being excited about buying this bike, to being about as excited as I get to buy trash can liners or toilet paper. Fuck Honda. they royally screwed the pooch here.

Maybe i'll just cancel my order and wait for the red, white, and blue one that I really wanted in 2017.

Is it all Africa Twins, or could this be a teething problem with the DCT?