Page 9 of 122 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Did we never make a motorcycle thread?

So I'm looking at my options here, all used except the last.

First option is dualsport/supermoto. This is the highest on my list, but also the toughest to achieve. Good for commuting, pretty good gas mileage, durable, not too much power to get into too much trouble, hoon factor to the max. Would love a WR250R/X, but they're actually pretty hard to find used, especially for less than $4k. DRZ and KLR are options.

Second option is a used SV650/Ninja650/FZ6R, etc. I've seen a few pre-FI SV's for under $2k. Probably makes the most sense. I could save money here, to put towards something in a year or so. Good compromise of a starter bike for someone with some motorcycle experience, with more power than a 250, but not all out supersport.

Third option is going ahead and getting right on an older 600cc Supersport. I'm not worried about killing myself on one, but they could be a headache at this price point (sketchy history, insurance, cop bait, etc). Financially they'd be on par with the dualsport, but down the road I'd likely keep the dual sport and add a newer one of these, as opposed to selling this one and upgrading, and then I'd still want that second dualsport.

Used Ninja or CBR 250 Lot of cheap options, but they are kinda dorky, and I'd probably want more pretty quickly.

Finally a new CB300F. Seems like a great starter bike for the same price as a couple of the used options above. But would I tire of it as well too quickly? It wouldn't be much faster than the above option, but serves a different purpose anyway. If these were on the used market already...

Junior Potato
    I'd definitely recommend option 2. Having owned a FI SV650 I can vouch for how good they are.

Their main drawback is cheap suspension, but there are a thousand-million things you can do to them to improve almost any aspect of their handling that it's almost a no-brainer. And the engines are utterly bulletproof. I have a mate that put 100,000km in a few years on a carbie one using it as a courier bike in Sydney. It had a hard life and is still going in retirement. Yep. He still owns it. Recently he mentioned that it's still running the original shim stacks in the valve train.

Get a cheapie and install a GSX-R front end with a set of motocross bars, that'll transform it straight away.

I can't disagree with RWA.

I wouldnt touch the supermoto route without a 400cc bike or larger. 250cc are a blast on dirt, they would absolutely anemic on road.

Found a 2008 FZ6 at a used dealer right around the corner from my work. 2008, 21k miles (kind high), completely stock, and looking in very good condition. One scrape on the case worries me, but the pegs and fairings look fine, so it may not have been dropped. They're asking $3,999. I'm thinking about putting an offer around $3500. If everything checks out and they can get me out the door under $4k, it'll be mine.

They also have an '04 GSXR750 at $4200, which is what got me in the door in the first place.

At $4k+, I'd be inclined to look at Yamaha FZ-07s, which I've seen advertised as low as $5700(!) new, but if you can get it down to $3500, more power to you.

I'd avoid the Gixxer, that is a LOT of bike. I am not saying you can't manage the power, riding position, brakes, etc.. You would however have a steeper learning curve right off the bat.

No doubt. I'm still back and forth on the whole supersport thing. What I'd be worried about getting into trouble with is not the amount of power, but the brakes. First thing I'd do is go to an industrial park and practice emergency stopping, so when someone inevitably cuts me off, I don't grab a fist full of front brake and drop it.

Also the word "Gixxer"; can't help but think of no gear, flat brimmed caps and tribal tattoos. Not something I'd be thrilled to be associated with.
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; January 11th, 2015 at 08:23 AM.

Per the brakes:

My one crash I had, was due to too much front brake and shit tires. My recommendation, if you choose to accept it. By good tires, don't "stretch" their use. Remember that you only have 2 tires to rely on.

What are the chances this actually only has 2700 miles on it? Might be a steal if so.

'08 Kawasaki ZZR600

That' like the KBB trade-in value. Maybe it's the hideous Giants sticker that makes it so cheap?
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; January 11th, 2015 at 11:51 AM.

Now you're talking some sense -- the ZZR's are a good, comfy bike. They can rail decently, too.
    Last edited by novicius; January 11th, 2015 at 03:30 PM.