Page 99 of 122 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast

Thread: Did we never make a motorcycle thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    I get down to 3C a few times a year. Mostly because it’s mid winter and I’m leaving for the beach around sunrise!
    Get to see the snowflake indicator warn me of possible black ice.
    Luckily it will only be that cold for a few minutes when I’m in a valley. By the time I’m at the beach it would be more like 10+C (and I’ll strip down to shorts and tshirt)
    I go winter gloves and thin inner liners. Also balaclava which goes down almost to chest at the front.
    Cold is not fun. I really wouldn’t want it to be that cold for a longer ride. Had it a few times, survivable but not why I have a bike!
    I do pity you guys in places that get below freezing, with a “bike season”.
    Bike season is all year for us in So Cal.

On another board there's a rider visiting So Cal from somewhere where there is "real winter"TM and he's wondering why he's seeing so few motorcycles on the roads. We're like "um ... , it's winter, it's cold" and he thinks these are beautiful spring temperatures. Perspective is wonderful thing.

It's raining at this moment. Might have to drive in the morning if this keeps up.

Junior Potato
    I’m being 100% honest here when I say that if I lived in a region that had actual real winter(tm) I’d be doing my hardest to account for that and still ride in winter.

That said, I’ve never ridden in proper cold conditions for longer than a few hours, so I’m wondering what temperature or duration would be required to change my mind

Fingers cracking and bleeding even with insulated gloves is enough for me.

Knees so cold you can feel the synovial fluid moving about because of the temperature difference from front of knee to back is where I stopped.

Managed to get my bike started last weekend. Fell back in love with the thing. A big twin with race pipes it's just a thing of angry aural beautiful. And my neighbour thought his Akra'd MT09 was loud

Bike's currently with someone way more skilled than me doing all the hard stuff I couldn't do. Hopefully wiht me by the end of the week, then a trackday in a few weekends time. Woo!

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    Knees so cold you can feel the synovial fluid moving about because of the temperature difference from front of knee to back is where I stopped.
    You a hard ass ma' fucker, that's what you is.

I'd drive my car or call in sick before I rode in that kinda cold.

I think the coldest I ride in was around 30. It was on my way to work at like 0530. Dark, and FUCKING COLD.

The only saving Grace was it is about a 10 minute ride. The weather home was stunning fwiw

That's about the coldest I've done. I wiped frost off of my seat before riding home. That was back when I had my Suzuki GS550 and before I had any gloves appropriate for cold weather.

Junior Potato
    Yeah cold weather usually brings out the best in things as long as the sun’s shining. My favourite rides have been 6am departures in July to head up into the hills. There’s an area near here called the Tweed Valley which is just picturesque as fuck when you cross the northern ranges as the sun is warming the dew on the grasslands.

Everything looks so bright blue and green that time of year, and we’ll go a good few months without any serious cloud cover. The temp might push its way up to 19-20C in the afternoon. Crisp.

Just heard that Otto Brothers Honda in Lyons, IL closed it's doors for good. 1968-2017.

Honda hasn't had a dealer in the city limits in ages, and the South/Southwest side of Chicago and the burbs are devoid of dealers. From what the owner of the only motorcycle franchise in the city said, Honda is unwilling to compromise on their space/inventory demands, acting like it's "still 2005." Meanwhile, Honda dealers keep closing. Even Harley Davidson realized that they need to compromise from their land requirements to have a presence in Chicago and not just the far suburbs.