Thread: Japan: February 2014

Japan: February 2014

Heading over to Japan the first two weeks of February to see my daughter. We will be in the Kyoto, Hiroshima, Onomichi, Osaka and Tokyo areas (in that order). Anyone have any suggestions on seeing stuff? Other than the obvious (Peace Memorial, etc.)

Definitely book a slot on the Mazda factory tour in Hiroshima.

If you're going to Shikoku, see the Iya valley, perhaps also the whirlpools at Naruto.

Lots more to say on this one.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I'm spending 2 weeks in Tokyo this upcoming September....there's a TON of things to do in Tokyo alone, obviously, so it's difficult to say.

I'd definitely recommend visiting Odaiba (big island in the middle of Tokyo Bay). There's Toyota MegaWeb, a massive Toyota place that also has a wonderful history garage with many non-Toyota makes and models (their appreciation for other makes in the museum is quite astonishing), and the biggest collection of small scale cars I've ever seen.

There's also Sega Joypolis, a very cool indoor arcade/theme park on Odaiba, plus tons of other shops/eateries to check out.

One other personal favorite, although it isn't strictly a Japanese themed place is Tokyo DisneySea. This is coming from me being a theme park enthusiast, but trust me, this place is absolutely amazing.

It is not a standard Disney park at all, and it was built "spared no expense" and is just on a whole other level of theming...a more grown up park.

I have heaps of suggestions, madly busy atm but I'll update in the next few days when I get some time. If you are going in that order I'd recommend that between Osaka and Tokyo you go via Takayama and Matsumoto, gets you out into the countryside a bit. I also like Gifu for a short stopover kind of thing (Ukai fishing, inuyama castle)

I'm going to be in Belgium for the first part of February but I should be getting back to Tokyo on the 10th or 11th, if you're still in Tokyo then I should be able to find some time for a dinner or something

Hiroshima and Onomichi Hiroshima Peace Park and Miyajima are must-sees. I don't know much about Onomichi, but any chance to get away from the "big cities" and see the more countryside areas are recommended. I've been in Japan two-plus years and Hiroshima was one of my favorite places.

Kyoto is Kyoto. Beautiful old buildings, shrines, museums, on and on.

Tokyo Asakusa/Kaminarimon, Shibuya, Harajuku and Meiji Shrine, Akihabara to stare at the oddities. Go to Harajuku's Yoyogi Park on a Sunday to see the subcultures assemble (...trust me).

I can think of more too. February is a GREAT time to visit, it's a bit before the cherry blossoms but at least it's not swamp-ass hot like June through September are.

Do you like skiing? Lots of good snow in the Takayama area. Conversely, be aware that if you do drive via Takayama as suggested (which is a good suggestion), the roads may be covered with snow too.
    Last edited by samoht; January 10th, 2014 at 04:56 AM.

This book may give you ideas for places to see around Kyoto and Shikoku

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lonely-Plane...rds=lost+japan

For takayama to matsumoto you can just take the bus, about Y2400 iirc. Night in Gifu to see the ukai fishing, train up to takayama for a couple of nights with a side trip to shirakawago, bus across to matsumoto for the castle, maybe rent a car from there to see the snow monkeys and then train down to Tokyo

Lots of good suggestions in this thread already. To add a bit:

Osaka - Osaka Castle and it's surrounding park are the obvious one and well worth the visit. Doutonbori is also an excellent street renowned for being the go-to place for eats in Osaka with lots of awesome restaurants. If you're in Osaka, you're also only a 30 minute train ride from Nara which is famous for its huge park where many deer walk around openly and interact with the tourists.