Page 12 of 69 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocksmith/Bandfuse

Quote Originally Posted by lostnight View Post
    Got Greenday instead of Creed. It's more like the Ramones, trying to learn Blitzkrieg Bog so I can jam with a friend who plays the drums. Figured Greenday will help build my strength, endurance, and shifting for playing the Ramones.
    Hey lostnight - missed your comment earlier. Have you tried the Ramones' version of "Spiderman"? Careful - you could blow a gasket in your wrist trying to strum along.

Video below spoiler. Maybe that will keep this thread loading quickly and not an all-day wait like the "What are you listening to?" thread in the Pits with all those videos.

Spoiler:

Administrator
    Hey, just the man I was hoping to run into, since I'm having some guitar issues with the Les Paul. Lemme know if you feel like answering a lot of idiot guitar questions!

I think Holy Diver will be the second song, along with Fear of the Dark, that my wife will quickly get very sick of.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Hey, just the man I was hoping to run into, since I'm having some guitar issues with the Les Paul. Lemme know if you feel like answering a lot of idiot guitar questions!
    Always! I'm in quite the guitar mood right now as my gang of geriatric guitar jammers has planned an all-afternoon jam on November 2. I haven't done anything of a social nature and just fun for me (other than bicycle commuting to work) instead of "fun with the whole family!" in a very long time. Don't get me wrong; I love my family but need to get out and just be a guy doing something cool rather than all the important stuff in life.

All your Les Paul questions answered:

No, you do not need Zakk Wylde pickups. Or EMGs.
    Do not have it routed for a Floyd Rose.
    Do install straplocks and use a wide leather strap because them is heavy sumbitches.
    Never forget you can solve all your problems by switching to a Fender Telecaster.

Administrator
    Hah!

Okay, well, here's what I'm running into right now.

G string is giving me fits. I just do not seem to be able to get the intonation right. I can get it tuned right playing open, but it's always sharp at the 12th fret. I've moved the saddle back and forth and it really doesn't seem to do much of anything. Don't have this problem with any other string.

B buzzes. A lot. I can't see that it touches any frets, but it loves buzzing.

Finally, wondering if this is normal. I was playing, then had to put it down for a minute, so I just put it on the floor on its back. Headstock touches the ground and I can hear the strings go flat. Is it supposed to flex that much just from sitting on the ground?

Reply to Mr. Servo is “spoiled” since it’s not about the video games, and it’s really long and boring for most folks, I’m sure. Even with a couple of Batman-style effects in the spirit of Zing!, Pow!, and Zowee!, this is dull stuff.

Spoiler:

G string is giving me fits. I just do not seem to be able to get the intonation right. I can get it tuned right playing open, but it's always sharp at the 12th fret. I've moved the saddle back and forth and it really doesn't seem to do much of anything. Don't have this problem with any other string.
    That’s weird, but not unheard of on guitar internet forums over the years. I don’t have an easy answer for you. Here are a bunch of rambling thoughts that might help, or might not.

I have a little experience with Tune-O-Matic bridges, but I’ve never had your problem. I googled to find anything specific to Les Pauls and G strings. This is worth reading IMO. I’m sure you can find similar discussions.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epip...-g-string.html

Ask any electric player and they’ll probably tell you the G string gives them more trouble than any other string. G strings are always a little funky with classic electric guitars because in the early 1950s string sets were thicker and came with a wound G string, as acoustic guitar string sets still do. Strings have gotten thinner in the passing decades and now a plain G is the norm but we’re still using 1950s bridge designs. Just for grins you could put a wound G on there and see what happens. Most guitar stores sell single strings. Just ask for their thinnest wound string if you feel like experimenting. It won’t bend as easily as a plain G but it might (probably will) sound really good. Get on the neck pickup, roll the tone down some, and play some jazz on that guitar as Les Paul himself intended. But, a wound G might be too fat for your G string nut slot. More on nuts later. Still, I’d spend a buck for a string if I were you just to say you did it. It would be like putting cyclocross tires on your new Trek – probably not what you want to ride on every day but possibly fun for a little while.

Along the same lines of trying a wound G, you might try a thicker plain G. In fact, that might be the first thing to try, now that I think about it. LPs have shorter scale lengths than Fenders, so if you’re using the same strings as you were on your Strat, you might try going up a gauge, like to “tens” if you’re using “nines” now.

Do you have a fresh set of strings on when you’re trying to check and set intonation? Old strings that have been stretched and bent and dented underneath by frets and covered with the oils from your skin get worn out and eventually don’t intonate properly. That’s how I know when it’s time to change strings – not because a digital tuner says the 12th fret is off, but when I start hearing chords that sound out of tune even though the open strings are in tune. Also, very rarely you might get a “bad” string out of a pack according to internet forums, but I never have. But then again, I don’t go through strings like guys who play guitar a lot do. I was always the bass player and bass strings can last for years.

But assuming your strings have been changed somewhat recently and they aren’t caked with beer and sweat, and you didn’t get that one manufacturing error in a million, you should hear the pitch of the 12th fret note change when you move the saddle back and forth, as you know. When you say it doesn’t seem to do much of anything, I’m thinking it’s so very sharp that your tuner is showing sharp no matter what you do with the saddle. Hopefully you can hear the pitch change as you move the saddle even if your tuner is telling you it’s some degree of sharp. I’ve never had that problem on a Fender bridge, but in that link above you’ll see guys talking about flipping the T.O.M. bridge around and talking about an aftermarket product with greater saddle adjustment room. Those are possibilities if all else fails, I guess, as is taking the guitar to a professional guitar tech for a setup if your LP is a “keeper” and you don’t mind spending a few bucks on it.

You are de-tuning the string a bit before moving the saddle, and then tuning back up, right? Don’t move the saddle with the string at regular pitch. It can be done, but the scraping of the saddle under a tight string can’t be good for the string.

What about the other frets besides the 12th? Try frets all over the neck and see if they get consistently sharper as you get to the higher frets, or if there’s some variation. If it varies, such as flat in one place and sharp in another, the string could be getting pinched in the nut slot, which is a job for a professional guitar tech, unless you want to buy a set of nut files (pricey!) and learn by trial and error. From personal experience, I can say with confidence that most nuts are not as good as they could be straight from the factory, or at least in guitars in my price range (middle-of-the-road pricewise, and below). Usually nut slots are just a little high which makes the action high at the low frets and can make the notes at the low frets sharp even if the open string and 12th fret are in tune. This can make chords sound like crap on a guitar that is supposedly in tune.

I don’t bother with nuts on cheap guitars if they’re “good enough” but I have had new nuts made for two basses and one Telecaster neck that I’ve moved around to various bodies and it makes a difference in how in tune the instrument plays all over the neck. I wouldn’t have a serious “keeper” guitar without a nice nut made or at least checked and had the slots polished by a pro. But that’s just me. Maybe you have five decent nut slots and one that’s funky. You might take an old guitar string and rub it back and forth in the slot(s) to make sure there are no burrs or rough spots in them. You can use fine sandpaper for the wider slots, or emery cloth.

One quick way to check overall nut health is to put a capo on the first fret. Always check your tuning after you put on a capo. If chords suddenly sound in tune with the capo where they didn’t before, your nut needs attention, regardless of what’s going on at the 12th fret. You don’t play only 12th fret notes, so it’s important for the guitar to play in tune all over the neck and especially down near the nut where most of spend our time playing chords.

I set intonation standing up, with the guitar strapped on in playing position and plugged into a tuner, or with a Snark tuner clipped to the headstock. I figure the guitar should be in playing position and not sitting flat on a workbench. As you’ve seen from resting your guitar on the headstock on the floor (*CRINGE!*…but more on that later), most guitar necks are made of wood and wood moves. I also don’t use the 12th fret harmonics to check intonation. I want the fretted note to be in tune, since I play fretted notes far more often than harmonics, and the 12th fret note is right, the harmonic will certainly be close enough, if not dead on. That’s my opinion. Others will disagree and set intonation with the guitar on its back on a workbench and by using harmonics. To each his own.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of a tuner are you using? You can get strobe tuners like the Peterson brand for super-accurate work as pro guitar techs and serious hobbyists use, but any digital tuner made in the 21st century should be good enough for basic intonation at the 12th fret. I use a Snark lately, but for years I set up instruments with an old blinky-light Sabine that I bought in 1990 and it got the job done just fine. It still works fine but isn’t as convenient as modern designs. It looks like an antique from 1960s Star Trek compared to Snarks and some of the cool new tuner pedals these days.

There are also smart phone and tablet apps for strobe tuners. I’ve heard good things about the Peterson strobe app for iOS and would own it, except I haven’t yet coughed up $100 or more for an interface to let me plug a guitar into the iPad. One of these days, maybe…

More, believe it or not...

Spoiler:

B buzzes. A lot. I can't see that it touches any frets, but it loves buzzing.
    George: My bike makes a clunking noise sometimes when I stand up and pedal hard. What’s the problem?

Tom Servo’s likely response: You need to isolate the where it’s coming from. RD? BB? Pedals? Chain? Frame?

And that’s my answer to you. Where is it buzzing? Put a capo on the first fret. Does the buzzing go away? Put the capo on the 12th fret. How about now? Pluck the string normally but also in between the capo and the nut. You might have a high fret, or corresponding low fret(s), somewhere. The capo should show you that pretty quickly. The nut slot might be too low, so the B string is buzzing against the first few frets. I've heard of people shimming nut slots with a tiny dab of superglue to fix this until they can have a new nut made. You might also raise the treble side of the bridge a tiny bit, using the thumbwheel, if that doesn’t put your high E string in the Stratosphere. Stratosphere. Get it? I crack myself up.

You might also need to adjust the truss rod. Put the capo on the first fret and your finger on the low E string way up high, like maybe the 15th or 17th or 19th fret. The pros will tell you to use feeler gauges to determine how much relief (distance between fingerboard around the 7th fret to the underside of the strings) the neck has. I simply sight down the neck as if aiming a rifle. You should be able to see a little relief but not too much. How much is too much? Time and experience will tell, or you can use feeler gauges and go online to find LP setup guides that will give you someone’s idea of optimum relief. If you see the string(s) touching all frets for the whole length of the neck, your neck is either too straight or possibly has a slight back-bow. Too straight a neck can cause buzzing and a back-bow certainly will. That’s what a truss rod is designed to correct. I’m sure google will get you better info than I can provide about adjusting Les Paul truss rods.

Oh, and while you’re aiming the guitar and sighting down the low E, flip it over at least once and eyeball the high E also. In rare cases, a neck can have a twist and you might see relief on the bass side but a back-bow on the treble side, or vice-versa. That’s quite unlikely, but it’s easy enough to look down the high E and see what you can see as long as you’re at it.

Finally, before I start scolding you for gross abuse of your guitar, you might find taking your guitar to a professional guitar tech for a setup is your best bet. I’m sure there are more good techs (and incompetent ones too) in LA than anywhere else other than possibly Nashville or NYC so you can probably find one who will do a good job. Just like bicycles, new guitars need to be set up for the individual who will be using them. A good setup can turn a guitar you tolerate into one you adore.

Finally, wondering if this is normal. I was playing, then had to put it down for a minute, so I just put it on the floor on its back. Headstock touches the ground and I can hear the strings go flat. Is it supposed to flex that much just from sitting on the ground?
    Supposed to? Probably not. Does? Yes. Surely.

Watch this. Skip to 4:15 to hear it if you’re in a hurry. This is how solid body electric guitarists can fake whammy bar sounds, and is the same reason your LP is going flat when resting on the headstock. *WINCE!*

Google “broken Gibson headstock” and you’ll never set your guitar on its back again. Set it on the front, strings down, if you must, but not on the back, please. Come to think of it, I wouldn’t set a Gibson string-down either because the pickup selector switch might be at risk. Gibson’s tilt-back headstock design is inherently more fragile than a one-piece maple neck on a Fender. If you set a Fender down on its back, the headstock will be above the floor since it’s straight in line with the rest of the neck.

That’s not an admitted Fender fanboy cracking wise about Gibsons – it’s just a simple fact. Acoustic guitars have tilt-back headstocks too but since their bodies are so fat, the headstock usually doesn’t touch the ground *SHUDDER!* like it does with a slim LP or an even skinnier SG.

Get one of these guitar stands, or a similar one. They’re small and cheap. They’re annoyingly flimsy on stage or at a jam, but they’re fine around the house if you don’t have kids or multiple cats.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...r-guitar-stand

Or, get a Telecaster and set it on its side!

Seriously, though, best of luck with your LP. Let me know how it goes if you figure it out. I'd like to know for future reference.

Administrator
    Heh, well, in my defense, the LP spends the vast majority of the time on a stand, I don't store it laying down like that. I put it down when someone called and I was too lazy to walk over to the stand, but now at least I know to put it down the other way.

I've got a snark tuner and pretty new strings. As far as strings I think I swapped them out a couple of weeks ago, they actually don't have a lot of play time on them right now. They're tens, and as expected G is unwound.

Sounds like I need to get myself a capo at some point. Thanks for all the advice, and I'll let you know what comes of some of the messing around.

Administrator
    Next week is The Killers. No word on the songs, but it sounds like one should expect a lot of Eb standard.

A LP on a stand with pretty new (but not BRAND NEW and still stretching out) "tens" and a snark tuner sound like you're doing everything just right. This just might be one of those weird things that you'll have to figure out. Maybe if you stand on one foot and hold your mouth just right...

Something else I thought about that probably isn't the problem but might be worth looking at to consider every variable is the stop bar height. Too high, and the strings could be "floating" on the saddles without really getting a good bite on them. Too low, and the strings might be getting stretched too hard over the saddles. Either extreme might cause problems. I don't know but I thought I'd mention it.

Administrator
    The big news this week:

A five pack of Tom Petty got leaked on Steam. Songs are Free Fallin', I Won't Back Down, American Girl, Refugee, and Learning to Fly.

A 12 pack of Jimi Hendrix is coming mid-December. If you upgrade to the Xbox One or PS4 version of the game, all 12 songs are free. If not, it's $30. Note that you'll have to buy it for the next-gen console for it to be free, and if you do so, it will not be playable on the PS3/360. Songs are

• Bold as Love
    • Castles Made of Sand
    • Fire
    • Foxey Lady
    • Freedom
    • If 6 Was 9
    • Little Wing
    • Manic Depression
    • Purple Haze
    • Red House
    • The Wind Cries Mary
    • Voodoo Child

Also, Killswitch Engage came out this week. Thought it was going to be Slayer. Am disappoint.