Page 17 of 69 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocksmith/Bandfuse

Administrator
    Yep, Anthrax:
    Madhouse
    Caught in a Mosh
    Got the Time
    Indians

I love all those songs, but watching the videos I'm pretty sure they're too fast for me. That's my big problem with Rocksmith now - almost all the songs I really love are too complicated for my skill level.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; March 25th, 2015 at 08:09 AM.

Got the Time! Have fun with the bass part on that.
    Whoomah!

Indeed! I know I'm always posting about how I used to play bass in cover bands, but I really did, and "Got The Time" is FUN to play on bass!

The lead guitarist and I had a long-running friendly argument about whether we played the Joe Jackson version or the Anthrax version. As he played a pointy-headstock Jackson guitar, you can probably guess which side he was on.

The Joe Jackson studio version is just a little slower. Since the bass player starts the song and sets the tempo, I always made sure we played the JJ version.

Administrator
    Glycerine may be the most boring song to play of all time.

Oh dear. I thought it was an Anthax original. I'm no better than my friend who went around raving to people about Madonna's awesome new song, American Pie, which apparently demonstrated what a brilliant songwriter she was...

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Oh dear. I thought it was an Anthax original. I'm no better than my friend who went around raving to people about Madonna's awesome new song, American Pie, which apparently demonstrated what a brilliant songwriter she was...
    Madonna covered American Pie?!

/runs to YouTube

Well...um, that was unexpected.

Yw-Slayer, if you haven't heard much of Joe Jackson's early work, I highly recommend his two 1979 albums, "Look Sharp!" and "I'm The Man." Both are high-energy pop/rock albums with clever lyrics and great playing.

Here's another tune I've been lucky enough to have played with a couple of bands. It's no more difficult than John Cougar's "R.O.C.K. In The USA". I just love bassist Graham Maby. The other musicians could stop playing and I bet the audience would still be dancing whenever Maby gets going like he does here.

Guitarist Gary Sanford has an interesting style - he seems mostly to stay out of the way of the other three monster players in the band, yet he plays neat stuff. He reminds me of two of his contemporaries - The Edge and Andy Summers.

Thanks George, I'll add those albums to my Spotify trylists. Although "I'm The Man" sounds uncomfortably similar to ska, which I hate even more than "experimental" jazz and fool-on-a-stool singer-songwriter pop crap like Mars, Mraz, Blunt, etc.

As for Madonna's cover of American Pie, in my view, the less said about that, the better.
    Last edited by Yw-slayer; April 8th, 2015 at 08:40 AM.

Administrator
    Inspired by George, I went ahead and picked up the Anthrax pack specifically for Got the Time. Turns out it's not nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be...it's fast, but it's pretty much just power chords all near each other. Really fun song.

Administrator
    Oh, and Thin Lizzy is next. Three songs, only "The Boys are Back in Town" is confirmed.

EDIT: Other two songs are

“Dancing In The Moonlight (It’s Caught Me in It’s Spotlight)”
    “Jailbreak” – Eb Standard

Boys are Back is also Eb Standard.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; April 14th, 2015 at 05:26 AM.

A little bit off topic, but I didn't think it deserved it's own thread. Disney's Fantasia is on sale at the Best Buy today for $10/$20 for Xbox 360/One. My kids love playing it, and I think it's pretty fun too. It's like Rock Band mixed with Fruit ninja. You basically act like a conductor and have to hit certain movements.