Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocksmith/Bandfuse

Administrator
    I'm having the opposite problem...the Kinect hears something in the background and swaps out for a random tone.

Administrator
    Re Bandfuse, it's part of Amazon's video game deals of the day, $40 right now. I picked it up, should have it on Wednesday.

Broke another string, so I followed George's advice and have sanded down the saddles on the guitar. Here's hoping I can make a set of strings last long enough that they actually need replacing from wear, not just because they snapped yet again.

Administrator
    Finally got my first master score attack done that wasn't Blitzkrieg Bop. Did Breaking the Law, since that's pretty easy to memorize. It ended up just giving me a good section at one point on a part that's actually pretty easy, not sure what I did wrong there, but no missed sections. Feeling pleased with myself.

Still haven't had a chance to fire up Bandfuse. Hoping to get to do that this weekend.

Now that I started re-training a week ago, I got time to play up to an hour after "school" in my room.
    I warm up with guitarcade, then continue the lessons and then I play some songs and I`m getting better.

3 weeks since I played last. Going to need to get the calloused fingertips back. Hoping I can get some play time over the weekend before school starts back up on monday.

Administrator
    Got a little bit of time to play Bandfuse this morning. Here's what I've noticed so far.

- The intro, explaining all these things to you, takes WAY too long. Eventually you just get tired of this voice telling you all this crap and you skip it just so you can do something. Then you realize that somewhere in that it explained some of the notation and you're left all confused.

- The tab format is probably better overall because it matches closer to what you'll find outside of the game. It's also nice that it color codes which finger should be on which string/fret. I agree with another user's assessment though, the side-scrolling tab makes it very hard to see what's coming, so if you don't know the song really well, anything like a solo where there's a quick move way up the neck is impossible to plan for, they always catch you totally by surprise. The oncoming note highway makes that much easier to prepare for in Rocksmith.

- A lot of people prefer Bandfuse's tuner. I really, really don't like the tuner. It has you just strum all the strings at once, but all that seems to do is drown out some of them, a lot of the times it just thinks I'm not playing G, and I have to do it over and over again to get it to recognize it. It also forces a run through the quicktuner every single song, just like RS1 did. That's not necessary, especially when you can access the tuner at any time if you notice the guitar has gone out of tune.

- Overall, the song selection I think is worse than RS1 + RS2014, except for the sheer number of songs that overlap between the two. There are probably 2-3 songs on Bandfuse that I like that I don't already have on Rocksmith.

- Some songs are charted way differently between the two, however, Breaking the Law comes to mind immediately. Then again, Breaking the Law on Bandfuse is a live version...one that includes Rob Halford repeatedly asking the crowd "Breaking the...?" and them yelling Law, for something like 20 seconds before the song starts. I see no possible way that this could get annoying when I just want to play the song.

- I had no idea Harmonix helped with it, but you can see it very quickly in that it's got the same star ratings that Guitar Hero and Rock Band had. It's also got set difficulties rather than the dynamic difficulty. I far prefer the dynamic difficulty, if only because then you can make songs change difficulty within the song, e.g., dumb down a super hard solo while playing all the rest of the song at full difficulty.

I like it so far, and at least it hasn't crashed on me like RS always does, but I prefer RS to this point.

Administrator
    Little more:

- It appears to have some bug that constantly logs me out of XBL. Dunno what that is, but any time I play it, within 5 minutes, I'm kicked off of XBL and cannot log back in. If I go back to the dashboard, however, I'm immediately logged back in. Weird.

- I'm having an incredibly hard time adjusting to the tab interface, and I find the notation for things like palm mutes incredibly hard to see. Everything looks really similar right now, so if I don't know that something is a harmonic or muted, I never actually notice it in the notation.

- The problems I thought I would have with the non-dynamic difficulty have appeared. I really like Faith No More, so I'm really pleased that Epic is on there (though I can think of many other songs I would have rather had, at least it's some FnM). However, difficulty 4 is barely a challenge and difficulty 5 is absolutely impossible for me. I also don't see a route to the "riff repeater" or whatever bandfuse has that lets you do things like slow it down and repeat a section to practice.

- I played a bit of the tour mode, there's two really irritating things so far. First is that it alternates between a concert (like three songs in a row) and a challenge to get five stars on a single song. That single song is always the last song of the preceding concert, so if you play through in order, you keep playing songs twice in a row. Annoying. Secondly, during those concerts, it lets you pick the difficulty per song. The only thing is, it doesn't tell you what song you're playing, so unless you remember from when you saw it when you picked the concert, you have no idea what song it is. Also, it doesn't tell you how you've done previously on that song on any given difficulty, so sometimes even if you remember the song, you're not sure what difficulty to pick.

- Lots of live versions of songs. Not sure why, but they tend to have guitar-wankery solos thrown in where the original recordings do not. Probably fun if you're better than me, but frustrating when you suck like I do.

I kinda feel right now like Bandfuse is better if you're already an accomplished player, despite it seeming more game-y than RS. RS I think eases you into things much better, and seems more suited towards practicing things rather than scoring, like Bandfuse is with point totals and cash earned and star ratings. After a while at Bandfuse, I just wanted to go back to RS and played a few songs on there.

It can't hurt to have both, especially since I'm sure there will be songs on each one that I want to play. They also regularly go on sale pretty cheap, so that makes it easy to pick them both up. But right now, I only see me going over to Bandfuse to play specific songs, otherwise I'm enjoying RS much more.

Your experience with Bandfuse seems to be similar to mine. Coming from Rocksmith, the song list is a lot smaller and redundant but there are a few good ones to make it worhwhile. I think if you didn't have RS the setlist would be pretty satisfactory.

Couple of things you missed- Playing a concert in career mode, it does tell you what song is next in the lower right of the screen but it is before the screen where you pick your difficulty so you if you miss it I believe you can just go back one screen and check the song. Also, if you want to practice the songs at a given speed or section ala Riff Repeater, you need to go to 'Shred U' and 'Practice'. As a bonus when you slow down the song the timing doesn't get screwed up like RS does. Works very smoothly.

As far as the tuner, mine is one string at a time and then at the very end they have you strum them all together. Isn't it that way for you? I don't think it's a setting. Also, it does not make you quicktune before each song, maybe that's a setting too?

Career mode is very useless and seems like they took about an hour to come up with the whole thing. And yeah, since each section has a specific genre you're always playing the same damn songs right after each other which can be annoying. At least it's not linear and you can jump around. I just stopped playing the career mode altogether. For me the best part of this game is the Lick Lab and Practice mode.

It does make you miss the dynamic difficulty of Rocksmith, but at least it doesn't fail you. I'm looking at you Score Attack!!

Finally DLC comes out for this on Tuesday, bunch of Hendrix which is cool. Not sure if it's Hendrix only yet. Wondering how much it will cost though.

As far as Rocksmith goes, my disc seems to be unreadable every other time I play these days which is quite annoying.

Administrator
    Ah-ha, okay, I have to keep my eyes out for that "next song" screen, and I probably would have found the practice mode eventually. Glad to know it's there.

That Children of Bodom song in drop C is giving my guitar fits.

That's how the tuner works for me too. What's weird is that I'll strum and it'll basically show e, b, a, and E all having strummed and registering in tune, but g and d both show up as silent (the bar is brownish and the white "needle" doesn't move at all). It works a little better if I strum at the 12th fret, but most of the time I have to sit there and strum a lot of times, always with a long enough pause in between to let the game pick up anything, in the hopes that eventually it'll register all six strings at once. Since that's happening, it's really damn irritating that I have to go through that before every song, even when the tuning isn't changing.

Running into a new issue with it, too. Well, not new, but I thought it was related to some issues I was having with my internet connection back on Saturday. I kept getting kicked off of XBL when playing Bandfuse. Then my internet connection issues went away on Sunday, and it was still happening. And only with Bandfuse, no other games were giving me any issues, I tested like 5-6 of them. Always within the time it takes to get through the first song, I'll get the message that I've been disconnected. If I attempt to connect again from the guide, it'll start saying it's trying to connect, then the whole console will lock up. If I go back to the dashboard, it immediately reconnects me to XBL, only to disconnect me again as soon as I enter the game.

That's not that bad, it's not like you play online or anything, but I'm finding that it's not saving my scores. I'll go look at a song and think "I can't remember if I played this on difficulty 3 or 4 last time", so I'll check my previous scores, and it tells me my best score is zero points on difficulty 1. I also can't see any leaderboards. It's saving my career progress, just none of my scores, which given that there isn't the whole dynamic difficulty thing means that if I want to keep track of which songs I can play okay and which I can't and what difficulty I should probably be doing, I need to have a laptop with Excel open next to me or something.

I put in a post on their support forums, hoping that I'll get something out of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    That Children of Bodom song in drop C is giving my guitar fits.
    Time to buy a Baritone guitar!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo
    But honey, I really needed this guitar!