• Who knows, maybe kimi adds a fifth win now that he is in state oif grace

2 20.00%
  • Someone not powered by Mercedes

0 0%
  • Camui is in Afrika fighting Ebola.

1 10.00%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2014 FORMULA 1 SHELL BELGIAN GRAND PRIX

Yeah, I noticed that on another penalty earlier this year, or maybe last year. I was surprised as well. I wonder if it's a new rule in recent years. Seems kinda lame, when you consider some of the other penalties given out.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    I thought that a stop-go was supposed to be a more severe penalty than a drive though penalty. Letting them do it during a regular pit stop renders it to be less. A drive through will cost them at least 10-15 seconds (more on some tracks) I would think.

It's a new rule for this year, idea is that for the technical breeches of the rules (often where it is a team breech as opposed to a driving breech) which should have a penalty a drive through was often too harsh so they created this 5 second penalty. In the case of Alonso at Spa it meant that the penalty was a bit light imo as that wasn't a case of the mechanics being a bit slow, they simply disregarded the rule completely and created a dangerous situation where there didn't need to be.

#f1 #BelgianGP @latphotographic Open air urinal + view of EauRouge. Not bad. But waiting for men to "go" wasn't great pic.twitter.com/PMDN8T25oW

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IMOA View Post
    It's a new rule for this year, idea is that for the technical breeches of the rules (often where it is a team breech as opposed to a driving breech) which should have a penalty a drive through was often too harsh so they created this 5 second penalty. In the case of Alonso at Spa it meant that the penalty was a bit light imo as that wasn't a case of the mechanics being a bit slow, they simply disregarded the rule completely and created a dangerous situation where there didn't need to be.
    I thought I read somewhere that they couldn't get the car started.

Yeah, battery was low charge so there was a bit of a panic in the last minute to get some more batteries. When the time came to clear the grid they stayed there working, a marshall came across to say 'get the fuck off the grid', they ignored it, lights go green and cars start the parade lap driving around alonso's car with 5 or 6 blokes still working on it and they finally get it started and he pulls away. Thing is if they had've left the grid, waited for the cars to pull away and then got Alonso's car started he would have had to start from the back of the grid so by ignoring the rules and creating a dangerous situation they got less of a punishment. I can understand why they did it which means that the punishment in that case is a bit too weak.

They should add a start from the back proviso to that rule's punishment.

One of the nice things about living in the States...F1 coverage sucks. So, when I have a busy weekend. I can record it and get back to it later, much later and still not know what happened. EXCEPT when my #$%#& COX DVR records 10 hours of grey screen. Was not happy on Sunday.