Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention my photographer friends, help needed!

Attention my photographer friends, help needed!

I'm taking an intro to photography course this semester. I am shocked an chagrined to hear that we will be using 35mm B&W film for the class. In addition, we will be developing our own stuff in the darkroom. That said, does anyone (hopefully someone in the US) have a working 35mm SLR with manual controls they would be willing to lend me until December? Alas, I need it by Sept. 4. I will reimburse courier costs, of course, and return it in the same condition or better than it arrived. It seems like a hassle to have to buy a used camera just for this one course, just to sell it again after. Film has been obsolete for a decade, in my opinion, but that's up for debate.

Film is not obsolete and you will learn to love it over the course of the class . If I wasn't leaving for Japan, i would have one for you, but shouldn't be more than 150 for a mid 90s SLR and lens.

I think I still have an Olympus camera laying around. Possibly fully manual. I'll look around.

But, I wouldn't rule out buying a second hand one to have around when you get the urge

Yea if you could use a rangefinder...

http://fedka.com/catalog/index.php?c...9f6e7bbb330da7

those are all neat

Nevermind. Just bought a Nikon FG found on Craigslist. Came with 50mm lens, 35-70 zoom lens, two flashes (don't know if they work), a bunch of filters and a bag (maybe a dozen or so rolls) of colour film. Too bad I'm only working in B&W for the class. Bought it from an old soldier who bought it new in the 80s, or so he claims. It even has all the manuals, warranties and I think even receipts!

I have an FG... btw, you can shoot the color film and process it as black and white. Will be utter crap for dark room printing but scanning it works wonders.

Kiev IIa Fuji Superia 800 processed b/w:

Last edited by Rikadyn; August 25th, 2014 at 06:22 PM.

Yep, the original shipping receipt was in the box. Purchased in March, 1983 by mail-order. Original price of the body was $173.

Neat. My intro class was fun, and won the professor over enough I skipped to independent study the next semester

It even came with promotional brochure.

NikonFG.jpg

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    The FG will do the job. I used to have one. Decent camera for basic 35mm work. Small and light for a 35mm.

Film cameras have gotten cheap. You can get top of the line old film cameras surprisingly cheap these days.

If you wanted to blow your instructor away, this would be awesome. It was a top of the line pro camera at one time. 20 years ago, one of these would probably have gone for more like $1000 but film has strongly fallen out of favor.

https://www.keh.com/246458/nikon-f2a...mm-camera-body

Or, if you wanted to go really nuts:

https://www.keh.com/247084/nikon-f5-35mm-camera-body

Avoid DX lenses with the FG. They don't have full frame coverage. They are designed for digital cameras with smaller than full frame sensors.
    Avoid G lenses. You need an aperture ring with the FG.
    Also avoid pre-ai lenses. You need AI or AIS lenses for the FG. You probably won't encounter these but you could if you spend much time on the used lens sites. Pre-ai lenses haven't been made since 1977.

It also won't work with invasive fish-eye's but I don't expect that you'll encounter any of those in a reasonable price range. They are expensive, rare and require a camera that supports mirror lockup, which the FG doesn't.

AF lenses will work, but won't AF since the FG doesn't do AF. AF lenses support AI/AIS so the FG will meter properly with them. Rockwell doesn't mention the FG. It's about the same as the EM in terms of compatibility and it's from the same generation. It was one step above the EM.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/com...lens.htm#cheap
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_FG

Cannon's old camera situation is even worse. There is no compatibility between EOS and pre-EOS anything.
    Last edited by overpowered; August 26th, 2014 at 10:40 PM.