Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention my photographer friends, help needed!

That is great info. Thank you. Honestly, I plan on selling it after the class is over to another student.

Quote Originally Posted by overpowered View Post
    The FG will do the job. I used to have one. Decent camera for basic 35mm work. Small and light for a 35mm.

Film cameras have gotten cheap. You can get top of the line old film cameras surprisingly cheap these days.

If you wanted to blow your instructor away, this would be awesome. It was a top of the line pro camera at one time. 20 years ago, one of these would probably have gone for more like $1000 but film has strongly fallen out of favor.
    I went into my intro class with an Nikon F4

I looked at the unopened film that came with the camera. They're all colour, with ISOs between 100 and 400, plus a few that are slide film. The best before dates are from the '90s. I'm assuming they are too old to practically use. However, I'm wondering if they still half-work. Who knows, I might get some interesting effects. Is 20 years simply too long for them to be used at all? I'm inclined to try them for laughs and develop them as B&W, like Rikadyn suggested. :scratchchin: Hmm...

BW you usually shoot expired of 5+yrs as if it's 2 steps slower than what it is marked. not sure about color. People buy 40-50yr old films and shoot them all the time, there is a niche market for it. so no not too old to use.

If you do shoot the color and develop as B/w be warned your times on an enlarger are gonna be north of 90 seconds, it's kinda like having a 5 contrast filter (red) as default...

Unfortunately, I don't understand what that means at this point, as I've just started the class. I will know what that means by October or so.

Just looked at the old film a little more closely. It's all slide film (seven rolls) except for one roll (12 exposures) of 100 ISO Kodak Gold.
    Last edited by Cam; August 28th, 2014 at 11:13 AM.

Never toyed with slide film, was supposed to grab some for my Ikoflex but never did. So...shoot a roll, and see what happens

I just might.

A colleague of Lori's loaned me a 85-210mm lens. He has a Nikon F-301, interestingly enough with the exact same 50mm lens I have.

Is it the little 50mm E lens? If so that's not surprising.

Yes, Nikon E-series 50mm 1.8.