Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So what about this new PlayStation game called Gran Turismo?

Junior Potato
    What a great video

I HATED the PlayStation. My N64 was all I needed.

But then GT2 came out and… I bought a PlayStation with my first McDonald's pay checque.

I found this guy the other day that was just streaming himself playing GT3 (and previously GT2). So memories. Such nostalgia.

(Jimmy Broadbent in case anyone is wondering. He does a ton of sim streams on a bunch of games, from arcade-y racers to iRacing)

I also that night discovered Nicky Thiim (Aston Martin GTE driver) does a ton of iRacing streaming.

Last Sunday (yesterday) I fired up the full-sized PlayStation ("1") and the silver PS2. Mostly to verify all the video connections were working.

The PlayStation had GT1. It was just 36 days into a game I tried to start in 2019. The garage had a white AE86 Corolla Levin with cheater tires and a chip and a racing muffler, plus two stock prize Demios.

I was able to win all three races of the Sunday Cup, although I qualified last and screen records indicated I was likely about 4 seconds a lap off my May 2019 times. Didn't save the results.

The PS2 had GT4, but its memory card would not load.

And I had to go anyway, so I shut things down and left.
    Last edited by SportWagon; March 2nd, 2020 at 02:00 PM.

I recently hacked my PS3 to be able to play PS2 games.
    It doesnt work that well, and my Xbox G920 wheel wont work with it.
    So I downloaded the PSX2 emulator on the pc and have been happy since.
    I did try to fix my first gen fat PS2, but it didnt work and I broke the DVD drive wire ribbon in my frustration.
    Now its a pile of parts 😄

That game is so old, that I had a "letter to the editor" published in one of the local car magazines, saying that their readership should try the game

Junior Potato
    So, do you happen to know if these car magazine people outside the very tight sphere of computer game enthusiasts ended up trying this "Grand Turismo" thing eventually?

Did it ever take off?

I believe it became relatively popular in some circles, over time.

Too bad they released updated versions of the game, a little at a time.

Instead of just one large and excellent option.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    That game is so old, that I had a "letter to the editor" published in one of the local car magazines, saying that their readership should try the game
    That game is so old that when it came out, it had a usenet newsgroup dedicated to it.

Decided my gt1-2019 game would be difficult to pick up and play every now-and-then unless I got my A license too. I was recuperating from a cold last Sunday and Monday, so practised the A license tests on Sunday, confirming which were hardest, and then did them for real on Monday. Of the 8, most were relatively quick except for over 100 tries on #3 learning to go into that Grand Valley hairpin. After getting that one, the other hard one, #4 at that stretch of Trial Mountain took less than 10 tries. And then I did the final #8 in an honest 3 tries. I was glad to have got that ready for if I pick the game up again in another year.

Then maybe I can work my way to some cash and try the UKvsJPvsUS series or something.
    Last edited by SportWagon; March 11th, 2020 at 08:22 AM.