Page 73 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: Run for cover! (The Ford Mustang Thread)

"Everything" was too short of an answer?

Cuda, the Boss is boss.

I really do like the boss. I kinda want one, but I kinda want something else.

What's the difference between a $44 Cold Air Intake and a $290 CAI? It's just a tube, no? What's the optimal design; fewest bends and straightest line from the filter to the MAF?

This question ignores the cost of a 'shiny' CAI v. a black one. Who cares? Or does the 'shiny' CAI somehow retard heat better? Shiny one is $370.

Power-wise? Little to nothing. Bling-wise? EVERYTHING.

From what I've read, CAI's are judged basically on how well they truly lock out any underhood heat and pull in "cold" air (obviously). They do this typically either by a box behind the headlights, snorkeling down to chin level or (in our case) a through-fender mount. JLT RAI is a brand name that gets good reviews. But then that makes them susceptible to puddles/standing water/flooding (so don't drive through deep puddles).

Your stock 52mm throttle body already flows way more than you'll ever need unless you're going to boost the car.

Are you experiencing loss of power due to heat soak of some sort? Spend that money on an aluminum radiator, run race gas and pull some timing out of the tune, that should be the first steps to fighting the heat, I'd think.

Yeah, it really is mostly about the box around the filter. To some degree probably the filter too, but mostly about how it's walled off.

I'm mostly spitballing ideas for how to get better throttle response and a few HPs over the winter without opening the motor. Figure a CAI and a tune would do some good.

I am not sure what the better approach there would be. '90s motors are still well within that time period where things like exhaust and CAI made a legitimate difference, but by the same token it'd be unlike SVT to leave easy horsepower on the table. For $44 probably who cares, but at $300 I would probably be inclined to look more at the exhaust - headers. maybe a new cat, maybe something behind that.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    I'm mostly spitballing ideas for how to get better throttle response and a few HPs over the winter without opening the motor. Figure a CAI and a tune would do some good.
    For throttle response then yeah that's the best way to tweak the throttle (in addition to the gas pedal mod).

It's funny, the throttle response was fine until I bought the 6. That thing moves up and down the rev range at will.

But-but it's throttle-by-wire! How can you say that?? #gasp

Short of a clutch pedal, the 6's total performance envelope is so superior to the SN95 that frankly I'm surprised you still turn on the Cobra.