Page 2 of 87 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Run for cover! (The Ford Mustang Thread)

I'm planning on test driving the EcoBoost (hopefully back-to-back with the V6) when they are on lots. Mostly out of curiosity, but don't tell the salesman that.

By the way does anyone else want to go on a murder spree when they see dust spots on press/publication photos?

I saw two of these today - one in the tunnel in Griffith Park and the other on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. Both with manufacturer plates and autojourno-looking dudes driving them.

PS - I'm totally tired of people jerking it to the lame EcoBoost four-cylinder. It's breathless up top because, like almost every other modern turbo motor, it's tuned for torque off idle and minimization of lag, so they put tiny little turbos on them. The V6 was a sportier choice, but now you can't get it with the Performance Pack.

V8, all day, every day.

Cheaper MSRP, cheaper insurance, lower taxes overseas, slightly improved handling and slightly less weight are all benefits to the EcoBoost four. Nobody is saying it's better than the V8.

Now, better than the V6? Genuinely debatable but with no Perf Pack on the V6 Ford pretty much settles that.

... and let's be honest: The joy of the Mustang since Day 1 - with very rare exception - has not been winding it out. Nobody IRL is going to notice the Ecoboost's minor lack of breath in the last few hundred RPM, nobody. Most Mustang drivers don't even know anything exists past about 4k because, historically, nothing has for most Mustang drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    I read that Ford said the weight gain was between 28 and 87lbs depending on model, so not too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorTrend.com
    The new Mustang GT weighs in at 3814 pounds, a 196-pound increase over the last similarly equipped Mustang GT we tested.
    The weight gain has floored me, really. The Mustang is not a small car and hasn't been since the debut of the S197 but still: 3,800+ lbs. is firmly in 5th-gen Camaro territory.

Not that I'm a customer for either car -- a mod-motor'd S197 (or someone willing to take a serious loss on a first-gen Challenger R/T) will (eventually) get my money. But I fully expect the next-gen Camaro SS to A.) become lighter and more expensive, and B.) trounce the 2015+ Mustang GT.

Motor Trend is the only magazine reporting that weight gain as far as I can tell, and the only magazine that also says they didn't like the handling. IME, MT's numbers are frequently inaccurate, so until someone else says 200lbs, I'm going to have to side with Ford. Unless the IRS is made of steel (which is possible...) 200lbs seems like a huge weight gain, especially after they went to all that work to lighten it up.

I'm really uncertain about the Camara's future placement. It's already substantially more expensive than the Mustang. A loaded 2SS RS is encroaching on C7 territory. It seems nuts to me that GM would take any steps to narrow that gap... although there are rumors of the C8 going way upmarket, so who knows. Still, GM has only done one thing in the past 10 years, and that's make cars heavier. I' have little faith they are going to buck that trend any time soon. Must. Add. Sound deadening.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    ... and let's be honest: The joy of the Mustang since Day 1 - with very rare exception - has not been winding it out. Nobody IRL is going to notice the Ecoboost's minor lack of breath in the last few hundred RPM, nobody. Most Mustang drivers don't even know anything exists past about 4k because, historically, nothing has for most Mustang drivers.
    The sort of people who would order the EcoBoost + Performance Pack will. They would have been better served by the V6.

I was reading today at work that at least the rear knuckles are aluminum in order to minimize unsprung weight. Not sure about the rest of the rear suspension.

On the way out of my office today, I saw a heavily camo-ed 2015 Shelby version (whatever they end up actually calling it) come through the intersection and pass by me as it headed back into my business park. It sounded pretty mean. This happened to be playing on my stereo...

http://vdownload.eu/watch/8091872-th...ol-lights.html

I had a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
    The sort of people who would order the EcoBoost + Performance Pack will. They would have been better served by the V6.
    That's definitely one opinion. The 2.3t has more grunt sooner than the V6 could even think about. 320lb ft at 2000 rpm is clearly better than 280lb at 4350rpm. Maybe it's just my bias, but I wouldn't have ever considered a V6, but the 2.3t for me is a real alternative to the V8. The additional tuning ease certainly doesn't hurt, either, and it's quite reasonable to believe (based on reports), the "tapering output" is solvable with software. It certainly has been in Saabs and Volvos.