Page 51 of 87 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Run for cover! (The Ford Mustang Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    I think Ford's current pricing strategy is the hybrids cost more. A base Fusion hybrid is a few grand more than a Fusion, an Energi hybrid like six or seven grand more. I suspect they would position the Mustang similarly. I don't think the GT is the top of the [MSRP] line with hybrid drivetrains in play.
    I think you can get the V8 diehards to spend more for a V8 model, because they want a V8 and have the funds to do so. In other words you're keeping it around not because it is functionally top of the line but because of suckers like me who just want a V8 no matter what*

* I'm slowly becoming more accepting of a pure electric performance car, thanks to the crazy electric Z06 that some company is trotting around
    Get that weak shit off my track

I'd totally agree with that, but if that's how you position things you are talking about a $50k GT. Putting batteries and motors in additional to a battery and engine adds a fair amount in cost, which of course you then mark up. If you were to add that stuff on top of a (I'm guessing) 4cyl Ecoboost Mustang, then want to price the GT even above that, you've surely crossed $40k and probably $45k. That might be okay - the Mustang has a fair amount of headroom if you use the Camaro as a benchmark. Or, maybe Ford will take a cue from Lexus and offer hybridized V8s? All the V8 grunt plus 50 miles of engine-less driving for fifty large?

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    I'd totally agree with that, but if that's how you position things you are talking about a $50k GT.
    Yep, that's what I'm suggesting could easily happen.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_SS View Post
    There will always be a V8 option for a Mustang, I don't see the V8 going anywhere.

And I find it ridiculous if a GT will be 50k. They cost 35k now. No way is it going to go up 15k in 3 years.
    Ok I was thinking aloud more about a GT Premium ceiling, not the base but I'll take the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by www.caranddriver.com
    Look for the 2018 Ford Mustang to go on sale this fall. Pricing for the base four-cylinder model is likely to stay close to today’s $27,095 Mustang EcoBoost, while the GT with V-8 should add approximately $500 to $1000 to the base price of today’s $34,095 model.
    So adding $2K to the base MSRP's for increases up to 2020, that's a base MSRP of $29,095 USD for Mustang EcoBoost and a base MSRP of $37,095 USD for Mustang GT. Better?

I think they'll slot Mustang Hybrid in between those two.

I'm going to keep my vote for a premium model - whether it's a hi-po Ecoboost hybrid or a hybrid-assist V8 hybrid, I think the Mustang Hybrid is going to be a range topper. They'll position it as the "first American hybrid sports car" or "better acceleration through electricity" or something like that, and get people to cough up real extra cash for it. Maybe a Shelby GT-E. Okay, I am lying about that part.

Did somebody hear something?

Apropros of nothing I got a crazy idea in my head last night and I can't shake it. I ran it by Russ and he offered a full compliment of alternatives but the more I researched it and found people with the same stupid idea the more enthusiastic about it I got.

I'm not sure I want to buy a house and the DeLorean in the same summer and it bugs me that I never got the E36 on track. So, I'm thinking of buying a '94-95 Mustang GT and using it as an HPDE toy. No ambition to competitively race it, just a track thing that I can drive to PittRace or Summit Point or whatever, do some HPDE's, and get some experience and generally have fun. When I'm ready to move beyond that I'd just buy a turn-key E30/E36 track prepped car and jump into club racing. My Dad has forgotten more about Mustangs than I'll ever know so I feel good about it from that perspective.

I'm finding what seems like an endless amount of sub-$5k GTs on Autotrader and elsewhere. I wouldn't be pulling the trigger on it until April or so but now that the idea is in my head I'll be doing my research. So if I come in with oddly specific SN-95 questions you'll know what the motivation is.

Other cars suggested in no particular order include the E30, E36, Corvette C4, Camaro, Fiero, 350Zs, Chrysler Crossfire (lulz), and Cuda's 350z specifically. That's derived from myself, Russ, and Autotrader results for sub-$5k V6+ coupes with manual transmissions.

I found what looks like a really decent GTS within purchase distance but I'm not sure the impulse is that strong yet.

Very cool!

You're sticking with the 5.0L due to simplicity/your father's knowledge? Good plan.

I have only one recommendation: as soon as possible, change out the taillights to '96-'98 style.

That's a big part of it. And I have read it's easier to work on than the modular, etc.

I will say that an F-body will be less work, FWIW. The suspension on a 3rd- and 4th-gen F-body is much better from the factory than a Mustang. Plus you can swap in a Chevy 350 truck engine easily. Just putting that disclaimer out there. In the long run, it'll be faster for cheaper. #shrug

If you go Mustang it's pretty much because you *want* to go Mustang -- and considering your Pops, you're definitely set up to go that way.