Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: George's Guitar Emporium

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar

Pretty soon, we'll be playing with 3D printed guitars!!!

3D printed guitars are a thing but I'm taking a bit of a break from 3D printing stuff (I know, shocking!)...I will get back into it shortly with some new stuff coming out.

I went a bit overboard with buying mods to my new guitar. I know that putting things on could make it worse if things aren't good quality....I'll probably pick up another guitar to keep as stock. I think it's just one of those things I always like making things my own and this is way cheaper than car mods!

I got an idea on what I want the guitar to look like in addition to learning how to play well. I also got Rocksmith (2014 Edition Remastered) and it's really good so far.

ok, here's before/after my guitar after some mods.

WARNING: Pickguards for fenders do NOT fit without a lot of modifications to this Monoprice Indio guitar, so my plan to make this a dual humbucker setup have not succeeded, I kept it as HSS. I was also hoping to get a matte black pickguard that would work but couldn't get one to fit (talking screw holes and under the neck just not fitting)

I'll probably just buy a nicer Ibanez or something down the line.

Nice!

Pickguards for fenders do NOT fit without a lot of modifications to this Monoprice Indio guitar
    Nor do all Fender/Squier/other pickguards exactly fit all Fender/Squier guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario
    One of the things that I hate about Fender, for example, is that you have to be aware which factory the thing came from.

ah, good to know...although...odd

Administrator
    Heh, I planned to make a project of replacing the god-awful tuners on my Fender, then really struggled to find out the measurements. It was like "Fenders have this measurement unless they're made in China, then they have this measurement, unless it was between 2011 and 2014, in which case it's this measurement, unless "Jeff Waz Here" is scrawled somewhere on the back of the neck, in which case it's this other measurement entirely." I gave up pretty quick after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Heh, I planned to make a project of replacing the god-awful tuners on my Fender, then really struggled to find out the measurements. It was like "Fenders have this measurement unless they're made in China, then they have this measurement, unless it was between 2011 and 2014, in which case it's this measurement, unless "Jeff Waz Here" is scrawled somewhere on the back of the neck, in which case it's this other measurement entirely." I gave up pretty quick after that.
    Very true. Between multiple factories around the world, vintage-style parts vs. modern-style parts, and that guy Jeff screwing up everything he touches, sometimes things just don't fit. It's another way that bicycles and guitars remind me so much of each other - you can do a lot of work by yourself with simple tools but sometimes things just aren't compatible.

I've had good luck in matching bodies and necks previously, but I cannot make the Squier neck a friend gave me fit the blue Squier Strat body properly. It fits fine just holding it in place, but once I screw it on, but there's a gap under the bass side of the neck that I can't figure out - it's like it just won't tighten down all the way.

The red thing is a Grolsch straplock.

Perhaps I drilled one or more holes at a slight angle, despite being as careful as I could. But a hand-held drill is not a drill press, so I shouldn't be surprised. Remove it and re-drill it yet again? I think not.

And it could work the way it is...the gap is probably 1/16" or less, but I'd rather have it RIGHT, especially as my daughter becomes more and more interested in guitar. She asked for an amp for Christmas, and I'm thinking finishing this Strat will be like another Christmas gift, except it's not. With two kids, we always have to think about keeping gifts "even" in terms of quantity and value. This is a good way to give her something without really giving her anything. It belongs to the family, and anyone is welcome to play it. I have yet to sit down and go through all my guitars, basses, and amps with the kids, so who's to say what's there and what's not. Son says he's not interested in guitar, only drums, but I didn't get serious about guitar until I was 22, so I'm not pushing him into it. If he wants to, he will. If not, fine.

I don't know if I told you guys she stole my Telecaster, but she did...and that's why she wants an amp now. I found it in its gig bag in her room next to her acoustic. I couldn't have been more pleased that she snuck it out of the basement without saying anything. She says it's easier to play than her Yamaha acoustic, which of course almost any electric guitar would be, but it's too quiet unplugged.

Anyway, back to the story here...last Friday, I ordered a Squier Classic Vibe '60s neck with vintage-style tuners, Squier neck plate, and neck screws in brand new/never used condition from eBay for $177.44 including shipping. That is CHEAP, especially considering the cost of everything else these days.

Just wanted to mention that if anyone's looking for parts. Sure, Fender stuff costs more but I still think what I see on eBay is pretty reasonable these days, or maybe it's just that I don't have to plan ahead and save up for three months to get $177.44 anymore.

The Squier Classic Vibe series gets great reviews at guitar forums, which is why I went with that instead of any other Squier part. The loaded body was from a CV 60s also, and both apparently made in Indonesia, so hopefully they'll match right up. If it does, it will be the nicest Strat I've ever owned. I've had a few over the years but they were all low-end Squiers, such as the ones that come in starter packs with a tiny amp and a book of chords for $149 or whatever. And I realize a higher-end Squier is still a cheap guitar to most folks, but with a good setup, I bet it'll be fine. I can do everything myself except making a new nut (and drilling neck holes!), but I bet I can find a decent guitar tech somewhere in the area. The last guy who made a nut for me worked for an acoustic store that closed probably ten years ago and I've forgotten his name, or I'd try to find him again.

Now let's hope this Arctic Blast we're having won't delay the UPS man too much. The neck is supposed to be here tomorrow.
    Last edited by George; December 21st, 2022 at 06:14 PM.

Administrator
    I saw some footage of Gary Holt playing this guitar. I want it.