Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro

Dammit I got punked -- it was an April Fools joke.

Fun.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Man, they put a lot of time into that one!

GM Program Engineering Manager Stielow doesn't sleep -- he waits.

2015 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 Track Retest

Quote Originally Posted by MotorTrend.com
    "It's funny -- it was loose and sucky last time," he said. "Now, it's so hooked up. It's back to the car we chose for Best Driver's Car. It is so well-balanced and hooked up. It's predictable. What a pleasure to drive. I could just attack Turn 8, I was in the power way in there, forget about the brakes. It just felt so fast. It handles so well. The grip is so high. It's the car we love again."

"Last time, it was loose. It wouldn't put power down. It was just kind of nervous. This time, it was just so fantastic in every way. It was balanced all the way around Turn 2 sweeper, maybe just a wee bit of understeer. At the end of the corner, I could just roll into the power, drive right off that corner. I kept getting on the power sooner and sooner and sooner. I'm pissed I can't go faster, 'cause I think the tires just don't have it in 'em. After a couple laps, they're just not as good as they are when they're fresh. The car is so well-balanced. The car is nicely behaved on bumps. Over the jump over here -- no problem. I was shifting right in the air, and when it landed, it just hooked and kept going. It was just an absolute pleasure. It's one of the best-handling factory cars I've ever driven. I wouldn't change the car a lick if I was going to go racing right now. I would leave it exactly as it is. I would just tie the crew's hands up, like 'Don't you touch this car!' It's perfect." -- Randy Pobst

As we said last time, Chevy's still got a few tricks to learn, and they're still working from a less ideal platform than the Porsche team.

A standard FR platform is less ideal than hanging the engine out behind the rear axles?

Maybe the author meant that the basic 911 platform is better at road courses than the basic Camaro platform? Hmm.

Whoomah!

More likely that the Porsche 991 is a better platform to start tuning from than the fat-guy-in-a-little-coat 5th gen Camaro.

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post

It appears that this uber-Camaro will offer an automatic transmission as Chevrolet brought in extra help from Allison Performance Research & Integration Logistics, a division that works closely with the Formula Optimization & Outright Lap Sector teams to test cars on the track and improve lap times.

Yep, that's the clue I missed. #eggonmyface

They could just mean that the Camaro is built on a compromise platform (Zeta) rather than a platform purpose built for a sports car. The Camaro necessarily has some compromises built into it as a result of platform sharing and cost control that the Porsche likely does not. Still seems weird to even think to compare a Porsche against a Camaro though. "The Mustang is great, but it doesn't offer the quad turbos that the Veyron does."

Ha, I thought that was a weird combination of terms, but didn't stop to spell it out.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure they meant the Z28 is built on a fat pig of a platform that shares most of its structure with a $22k rental car.
    Get that weak shit off my track