Page 58 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: Look who's going to Autocross Dubai... because alien aka "Who da man? CudaMan!"

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I've been following the #WeatherTechRcwy posts on social media, because of this weekend's IndyCar race. And because I know you know the track I wanted to know if the alternate line that Michael Andretti famously used for the corner after the corkscrew during CART's heyday was available to the newer sportscars. I've read that lesser cars (and drivers) of the era lacked the grip to try unconventional lines at Laguna.
    acket.

I'm not familiar with that line. Is there video?

Hope this works.
    acket.

What’s so special about what Michael did in that video? I think that’s what I did, or try to do, with my S2k too... am I missing something?

I only know of the the super duper special should be illegal line zanardi used to pass Herta line...

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    What’s so special about what Michael did in that video? I think that’s what I did, or try to do, with my S2k too... am I missing something?
    IIRC by going offline on the left hander he's pushed further down the straight at the exit of the turn and that allows him to "shorten" the straight by a few meters. I can see/hear him finessing the wheel and the throttle thru that turn, as if the car was on the limit even when it appears that he is going "slow".
    acket.

I think I can see why he did that. Two reasons:

1) He's able to use more power since he has the steering less turned between the corkscrew and turn 9. In a car with less power (and/or greater ability to put it all down), you can still accelerate well and steer the car out to the right to set up more for T9.

2) T9 cambers up in the second half. With the downforce these cars made, he probably didn't have to slow much for the apex. A car with less downforce would benefit from entering T9 from the right side of the track ("opening up the corner") so that it could carry more momentum at the apex and exit of T9. Which, btw, goes off camber right at the end.

IIRC I entered T9 more left than I wanted to in the GT-R, since it struggled to put power down. I couldn't keep turning right exiting the corkscrew and still accelerate (much).

Basically Michael got to the apex of T9 sooner, and exited a little bit slower. But the run to T10 is very short, so his technique might have been an overall gain or at least not a net loss.

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    T9 cambers up in the second half. With the downforce these cars made, he probably didn't have to slow much for the apex. A car with less downforce would benefit from entering T9 from the right side of the track ("opening up the corner") so that it could carry more momentum at the apex and exit of T9. Which, btw, goes off camber right at the end.

IIRC I entered T9 more left than I wanted to in the GT-R, since it struggled to put power down. I couldn't keep turning right exiting the corkscrew and still accelerate (much).
    This solves it. For me, at least.
    acket.

Wow. Quite a bit of insight which I'd never thought of... no wonder I couldn't catch Cuda!

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    he has the steering less turned between the corkscrew and turn 9. In a car with less power (and/or greater ability to put it all down), you can still accelerate well and steer the car out to the right to set up more for T9.
    Totally evident in Rosenqvist's version.
    acket.

Junior Potato
    Dab of oppo