Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

I was on Sony's website looking for something else, and noticed they have suggested people (with my laptop, I presume others as well) not take the upgrade to Windows 10 until they can confirm it will work well. I'm still not sure if I want to take the upgrade, if it will be worth it on a non-touchscreen laptop.
    Last edited by Kchrpm; June 5th, 2015 at 04:43 PM.
    Get that weak shit off my track

I have concerns about lack of a touchscreen too - though I think a touchpad with even primitive multi-touch/gesture support will get the job done ok. And, there is always just going to desktop mode, which totally removes the need for a touchscreen anyway. All those things being true, I'm still on the fence on my older laptop.

I'm running 8.1 on more computers without touchscreens than with. I don't see what the issue would be with 10.

I don't think there is an issue so long as you know what you're doing, but I've found a lot of people get very frustrated by 8 sans touchscreen. Lots of "move over here" and "wiggle the mouse like so" to get things done that nobody has ever done before, and are ultimately poor approximations for "just touch here."
    Last edited by thesameguy; June 6th, 2015 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    I don't think there is an issue so long as you know what you're doing, but I've found a lot of people get very frustrated by 8 sans touchscreen. Lots of "move over here" and "wiggle the mouse like so" to get things done that nobody has ever done before, and are ultimately poor approximations for "just touch here."
    I've Windows 8.1 with Pokki free Start program (with options set as "visualize desktop instead of [crappy Win 8.1] Start screen") and... it's basically Windows 7 with a facelift. Same old totally awesome Windows.
    Aside from different menu structure in the windows it's totally the same OS as it has been lately.

And I've looked only twice in my life at that goddamn horrid Win 8.x Metro ahem Start screen... so really, I can't see the problem.
    If Pokki doesn't rock your boat (I found it pre-installed by Acer - thank you Acer, for once!) there are plenty of free classic start programs which recreate the classic fashioned Windows Start and give options to deactivate that awful Win 8 stuff, really.

Man, I remember when people use to put progman.exe in their Win95 registry's Run section to get rid of that awful Start button. There were plenty of free options to recreate that good Windows 3.1 interface for those who didn't want to step backwards to Window 95's native interface. I also remember a tool/reg script for Windows XP that would recreate the My Computer and My Network Places etc. icons on their desktop because they were outraged that Microsoft moved them onto the Start menu.

I would buy into the notion that each new iteration of Windows is more flawed than the last, except nobody puts Control Panel shortcuts on their Win7 desktop and nobody put Program Manager on their XP desktop. People like to complain about change. The previous thing is always better than the next. Always.

I've Control Panel shortcuts on my Win 7 machines and my Win 8.1 machine. Always have had. I don't give a damn about change, everything must be the same: to me Windows is like a car with three pedals, a steering wheel, a gear stick, engine and 4 wheels.
    Same same same. Fuck I care about Metro crap and new idiotic Win 8.1 windows menus. Guess what? I still install Office 2003 on my machines.

Change is NOT needed.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    I have finally gotten used to Windows 7, and i'm very sceptical about whether Windows 10 would be worth upgrading to or not. I can't really see any benefits over what i have now to be honest, but at the same time i wonder if it will be silly not to upgrade to a free Windows - after all how often do they give it away?

The boot time is almost worth the price of admission!