Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Windows 10

What about 9? Windows 8 must have been so bad that they're just skipping ahead to 10.

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-jumps-to-windows-10/
    The goal with Windows 10, Belfiore stressed, is to "find UI approaches that use the same mouse and keyboard experience evolving from Windows 7 so the touch users get something natural."

Belfiore, during his demo, offered insight into what went wrong with Windows 8. The goal of that OS was based on "the effect that two-in-one's can have for the productivity of Windows to help people get things done," Belfiore said. Two-in-one devices can shape-shift from laptop to tablet, and Microsoft has hoped that Windows can dominate that dual form factor in a way that competitor Apple cannot, with its separate iPad and laptop lines.

"Windows 8's focus on touch, the large start screen, the notion of apps running full-screen as they do on tablet devices...that was to salute the idea that this would be more productivity," Belfiore added. "But we didn't get it right. With Windows 10, we think we got it right."
    Some cool new things added too.
    http://lifehacker.com/the-coolest-wi...unc-1642802880

I've read that they skipped ten because of a programming oversight on loads of software that will look for something like "If windows version start with 9" ie Windows 95/98. True? Who knows, but it kinda make sense. Was supposedly from a microsoft programmer.

Then again, XBox>XBox 360>XBox One.... So who knows.

I also read that they wanted to keep with the One theme. But, apparently there was already a Microsoft windows 1.

I just hope that they improve the office suite of products. I really don't care for the current iteration. Not being able to change the colors from foreground and background or the border is annoying.

Maybe OSX was so successful they want a Windows X.

I still think 8 got a bad rap. A bunch of know-nothing journalists passed judgment without actually using it, or considering for one second how most people use computers. For most people, 8 is a great product. Microsoft screwed the pooch by taking away features that power users would legitimately miss, however, resulting in bad press from both sides. All those power users never bothered to sit back and think how much better their lives might be if average people stopped asking them for help, though, so they kind of cut off their nose to spite their face... I find it funny to hear random people whine about how terrible 8 is when I know damned good and well they couldn't use 7 either - clearly they read the articles and jumped on the bandwagon. Oddly, I haven't heard much negativity about the last several iterations of the xbox OS, which, duh, is pretty much 8. I think 8 isn't quite as flawed as everyone has been lead to believe by reactionary idiots. I like 8 in a bunch of environments, but my main desktop (where I do work) is still 7.

That said, I seriously hope Microsoft can beat Apple to the punch unifying devices. I bought a Windows tablet because the last thing I need in my life is another platform. Microsoft really missed the boat by not putting RT on phones, or putting Phone on tablets, or by not providing an x86 platform for running Phone or RT. They confused users, they confounded developers, and they incurred development costs on products more or less everyone made fun of them for. All the things that have made x86 and Windows great since the '80s - broad forward and backward compatibility - went out the window in one generation of product. Microsoft could totally redeem themselves with 10, especially if it can trickle over to gaming platforms. Phone, games, tablet, and computer where all things interact and interoperate the same would explode minds. Making spreadsheets at work on an Xbox X and phone calls in bed on a Surface 10 and playing games on Windows Dix? Sign me up.

Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid View Post
    I just hope that they improve the office suite of products. I really don't care for the current iteration. Not being able to change the colors from foreground and background or the border is annoying.
    It's probably annoying for home users, but it's keeping my sanity. It's impossible to run an efficient IT department when 99% of your luser problems are "how do I set my background?" and "how can I make Outlook neon?" Win8+O13=Win for me.

But, I want my neon Outlook. But, no.. .Just being able to see the which app is active by having a blue border, while the ones in the background are gray or faded would be a big help. It's difficult to see what is active and separate them when you have outlook, word, excel all open and overlapping. (Or maybe I should just maximize everything. ) Just as long as I can arrange all of my icons in the shape of a dick on my desktop, I'll be fine.

My wife has had 8 for about a year now and I still don't like it. I can't find stuff. Granted I'm not the main user. But, when I'm trying to help her out it's like trying to learn something completely new. I'm also not the most computer literate... But, I would think that most people aren't either.

Having one unified platform would be nice. Like how I have across my google products. It's very helpful having my internet bookmarks, apps, contacts, etc... on my browers, tablet, phone.

I've been in IT for a long time, and I'm pretty sure you still can't sort by penis.

Spoiler:

THE WEBSITE IS DOWN!

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    I got the icon today for free upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10. Not sure I want to do it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...7-windows-8/2/