Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Fresh install is best.

I would definitely agree, but I have done a lot of upgrades and they have gone amazingly well. Amazing is short of an overstatement, I guess, but considering how many botched Win9x->XP, XP->Vista, and Vista->7 upgrades I had to salvage when the 7/8->10 upgrade works very reliably it seems amazing. In fact, it's just how it should be and not amazing at all... but everything is context and relatives.

new PC (I'd still be on XP if possible)
    also, HDD -> SSD
    what do I need to avoid to keep the SSD quick years from now? (damn laptops have got inexpensive in the last decade)

Oh, new PC. OK then. You'll be fine. Modern SSDs should be fine (i.e. quick) for at least 4-5 years. It's more Windows that used to bog things down, but even that is getting better.

It's windows bogging things down that I'm most concerned about. Certain Win7 updates would make the PC feel like it was running on a Pentium ... without MMX technology
    I guess windows 10 was built with SSDs very much in mind (or do I still need to turn off virtual memory, certain indexing, ...)

Windows 7, 8, and 10 all natively support SSD operation, so no worries there. Early SSDs were missing a lot of functionality that later SSDs incorporated to prevent long-term slow-downs - any modern SSD will have pretty much all the features there are to have. Do be aware there are lots of new interfaces, though - the old SATA interface is not long for this world, having been replaced with m2/SATA and now m2/NVME. Not buying a machine that supports NVME today would be an oversight.

Windows 10 is *extremely* lean compared to the bloated Windows 7 and benefits from a *decade* of development. No software is perfect, but it's at least as good as 7 and largely better than 7.

Yes. Microsoft has been killing it over the last few years. There really are people who are swapping back to PCs now.

Has MS been losing significant OS market share?

tsg thanks.
    I knew Win7 supported SSDs, didn't know if Win10 was more optimized for them.
    heard of sata 1,2,3 but never NVME, good to know.

Not a fan of what MS has done with the Xbone dashboard, but lean is what i'm looking for (as long as lean =/= super simplified Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Smart Phone type of OS)

They've been slowly losing it, but still are far and away in the lead.
    Get that weak shit off my track

10 is actually pretty damn good. Better than 7, and miles ahead of 8. Definitely their best OS ever.