Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Junior Potato
    Nope, it'll run the software for a minute or an hour and then drop the video signal.

I'm afraid you lost me!

Junior Potato
    Okay.

I'll launch a program, and it'll do it's normal resolution change on starting (if applicable - almost everything I run will be at 1080p, but a taxing game will be set to 720p). When the resolution changes, my TV does that thing where it goes blank except for the input display while it picks up the HDMI signal, like all TVs normally do.

Then, the program will run normally for a while, and at a random interval after being launched, anywhere between within a minute or an hour, the screen will go blank and the TV does it's thing again while it waits for an HDMI signal. It just does it once, then won't do it again until I turn the 'pooter off and play again the next time.

It's been a while, but off the top of my head I remember that it happens in Kerbal Space Program, it happens in Dolphin Emulator, and in Foxtel Go, which is the Windows app for the Pay TV service here. It's not a massive problem; I can just pause the game and wait for a few seconds. I'm mainly just mentioning it because balki has the same thing and if there's ever a solution found then I'll give it a go.

My thing will do it 10x in one session, plus there's no gaming, video watching, full app launch or changing of resolution ... it's almost certainly what tsg described
    This morning the second screen completely refused to display rather then lazily flicker; launched the Intel tray, did something (forgot what!?! definitely wasn't a driver download) and no problems for 10+ hour

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Okay.

I'll launch a program, and it'll do it's normal resolution change on starting (if applicable - almost everything I run will be at 1080p, but a taxing game will be set to 720p). When the resolution changes, my TV does that thing where it goes blank except for the input display while it picks up the HDMI signal, like all TVs normally do.

Then, the program will run normally for a while, and at a random interval after being launched, anywhere between within a minute or an hour, the screen will go blank and the TV does it's thing again while it waits for an HDMI signal. It just does it once, then won't do it again until I turn the 'pooter off and play again the next time.

It's been a while, but off the top of my head I remember that it happens in Kerbal Space Program, it happens in Dolphin Emulator, and in Foxtel Go, which is the Windows app for the Pay TV service here. It's not a massive problem; I can just pause the game and wait for a few seconds. I'm mainly just mentioning it because balki has the same thing and if there's ever a solution found then I'll give it a go.
    That sounds like two things happening - it sounds like a video driver having a problem (check event log) and then the TV not renegotiating a display. IME, that happens a lot with older TVs but it sometimes just an incompatibility between video card and TV. We have a couple old projectors that do it *all the time*. Need to fully remove the HDMI cable and plug it back in to get it back.

urgh!
    Tried updating the Intel video drivers (6th gen Core I processor indeed, good call) but it says it's up-to-date (version 20.xxx from Nov 2016, yet the site has a few from this year, versions 15.xxxx, though)
    The monitor eventually stopped receiving a single all together. Changed the DVI->DisplayPort adapter and no problems at all for a few days, now back to the on/off/on non-sense

At this point I may just want to go from two 1.3MP monitors to a single monitor (2-3MP). What am I looking for from a single large monitor for work use? Seems like they're geared for gaming, but I'll just be looking at text/numbers all day (Outlook/Excel).

I have a similar signal loss issue. I suspect it's the HDMI cable not going fully into the socket on the back of the receiver.

I doubt it's my cables or monitors, they never send all the running programs to the one that's always displaying (ie; if I unplug one it would no longer be an extended display and the other would then have all the programs on it's single display).
    One is always going dark (but the power stays without an input error message). I've switched cables and monitors and it happens only the DisplayPort outputs only (two of them on the docking station).
    The VGA output form the docking station is always stable (the laptop has it's own VGA output, but it automatically disables once docked)

Have you tried turning off power saving just to ensure it isn't a weird bug?

So, I had a really weird issue last night. Took me about 2 hours to sort through. I'm blaming a weird combination of updates for Windows and other programs.

<rant>

For whatever reason, I restarted my computer first thing when I got home. Walked away to do something while it did that. Came back and noticed I still had a paint file open from before. I wondered if it actually restart at all. Go to restart again, accidentally click "sleep". Go to wake it up. Doesn't wake up. Just black screen, computer running.

I can turn the computer on and off with the power button. But no screen.

Turn off. Flick the PSU switch off. Wait. Flick on. Turn on.
    Screen comes on, computer boots up. PrecisionX not detecting relevant hardware. Running at 800x600. Something with the video card going on.

Do a bunch of other tests, update drivers, etc. The black screening is more prominent now.

I try HDMI in the card, HDMI from the mobo... not much luck.

Straight up rip my GPU out. Boots and looks great.

My 1070 is dual bios so I switch to the slave and boot. Works wonderfully. Think it's my bios that needs updating so I download the primary bios while still on the slave (oops), update and it craps out again.

I end up digging more through my device / hardware settings and make sure it sees my 1070. It's listed in the hardware list, but when I click on it... ITS NOT ENABLED. Win10 disabled it and I had to go in and manually re-enable it. And then everything was right again.

WTH

</rant>