Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Ditto.

"Multitask like a master with the ability to snap up to four things on the screen at once." Huh?

edit: oh, that must be for the tablet market. I wonder if my Venue has enough horsepowers to run it?
    Whoomah!

Gotta do it. Admittedly, I'll probably test it out on computers other than my main work computer first. It should rock hard on my Surface Pro 3 though.

I did reserve it, instead. You just buy yourself into the reserve program, to be sure to have upgrade availability to Win 10 within the promotional free upgrade year, not to *have* to upgrade no matter what and right away the 29th of July when Win 10 will be available finally to the public.
    I will not upgrade right away, I will comfortly wait when the day one issues will be solved.
    Right now, with the latest release to testers (I'm in to, but I haven't had the time to burn the ISO and create a big enough partition to put Win 10 there) there are a lot of drivers' issues.

I'll definitely get it on my two Win 8.1 machines. The wife and daughters. I'll wait and see before I put it on my Win 7 machine.

I'm going to be updating my laptop (8.1) right away. I'll hold off on my Win7 desktop.

By the way, hat Forbes article is a bit overkill. Oh no! No more USB floppy drive!. Who the hell is using floppy disks?!
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; June 3rd, 2015 at 08:10 PM.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    If I had Win 8, I'd probably go for it. I'm pretty comfortable with 7 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    Who the hell is using floppy disks?!
    Plus, couldn't you use a free Linux distro to read floppy disks off a USB floppy drive anyway, since they'd all (obviously) be FAT?

Definitely. And no native USB floppy support doesn't prevent someone who makes a USB floppy drive from providing their own driver. Clearly, the software exists somewhere!

Junior Potato
    On the subject of no disk drives, I was asked to help a friend set up a new laptop last month.

"Mick, you know computers. Can you help my wife set up her new laptop?"

Sure. I go over there, switch it on, run them through the initial screens (people who can speak English seem to suddenly lose the ability to read said language when it's presented to them in a series of dialog boxes).

After a while, setting them up with Chrome and 'the Google' she presents me with a DVD-R with Office 2007 scrawled on it in marker pen. "Can you set this up?"

"Of course I can," I say, "if…"

"If what," she asks me, suddenly worried.

"Now here's a question for the new millennium; has it got a disc drive?"

I flip it over. No disc drive. Heh.

She then looks at me like I've stabbed the family dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    (people who can speak English seem to suddenly lose the ability to read said language when it's presented to them in a series of dialog boxes).
    Why there have been no research grants to find the root of this problem, I cannot understand. People literally lose the ability to distinguish Yes from No when a computer presents a simple question. "Do you wish to continue?" ZOMG, which do I choose?????