Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

10 is fantastic.

Shut your mouth.

I was an Insider and everything, adopted it at launch, etc. Now it's just terrorizing me. Updates constantly, whenever it wants, full reboots whether I'm wanting to use it or not. It's a shit show that makes me feel like MS owns my computer and not me. I would go back to 7 if I could.

Why can't you?

Bruh, please. You're going to act like this is new to you? Like it's not so common it has it's own meme?

It doesn't respect the upgrade windows you setup for it and it reboots on its own. It's unacceptable. It works better in Enterprise for a lot of reasons but for home use, yikes. Full regret here.

The Get Windows 10 fiasco should've been an indicator but I was too excited about the UI. Lesson learned.

I have never experienced a Windows 10 device rebooting randomly outside it's assigned window across dozens and dozens of machines.

But, seriously, if you don't like it, just reinstall 7... I don't see what the roadblock there is.

My understanding is after the year past the upgrade you can't revert back to Windows 7. The license isn't valid anymore, though I might be able to buy it again which is also lame. Another sneaky shit thing they did was tell people they could go back, and then delete their recovery image after 30(?) days.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    I have never experienced a Windows 10 device rebooting randomly outside it's assigned window across dozens and dozens of machines.

But, seriously, if you don't like it, just reinstall 7... I don't see what the roadblock there is.
    Why on earth do you own dozens and dozens of machines? Are they virtualized?

You can't uninstall Windows 10 after 30 days (unless you took steps) but you can just nuke 10 and reinstall 7. There are some limitations - certain type of Windows 7 keys can be "consumed" by the 10 upgrade, but I've not had issues with retail or OE licenses... in fact, most OE licenses are built into the BIOS and you can freely uninstall reinstall 7 or 10 however often you'd like to do that.

I have dozens and dozens of machines because I'm the computer guy and I work for a large company... Between myself, employees, the inherent friends & family aspect of my job, and the charitable refurb work I do I deal with a lot of computers. Hundreds. But only many dozen are running 10 at this point.

The reason I ask is because I presume your 'dozens' of computers were work related and if your company is sufficiently 'large' it should be running Enterprise which doesn't have these problems which is why you wouldn't see them.

I can't tell you how many times I've turned my laptop on just to be told to "Wait a while" while it updates for 45 minutes, with no way to cancel around it. I didn't buy a PC so the OS could tell me when I could use it. If I turned my PC on it's because I have something to do.

I've heard two different professional podcasts (TK Show, Security Now!) have the same issue on air. It's pretty prolific. It stems from people pressing "Update and Shut Down" and then when they turn it back on inside the maintenance window it goes ahead and installs updates on boot. It's a piss poor design that leaves user in the lurch, and you pretending it doesn't happen makes me think less of you as an IT professional.

Not that you care what I think, but it ultimately speaks to credibility when you fail to acknowledge a problem faced by, well, everyone.

Clearly it's not faced by everyone, because I don't have the problem and I haven't heard about it from anyone I talk to about computers, which is a fair number of people of all skills using all manner of hardware. I haven't heard about it from any of my vendors either.

The fact that you're having updates that take 45 minutes suggests something larger is wrong - the B22 system I referenced in the Tools thread had 10 on it and even the Anniversary Update didn't take 45 minutes to install on that machine. That's a gigantic number.

I'd love to hear more about the problem, but I can't find anything recent that describes this issue. Some hits on problems dating back to 2015, but nothing consistent in '16 and certainly nothing post 1607.

There are literally dozens of way to manage the issue you describe, including reverting to Win7, changing the updates behavior (set a metered connection, disable the maintenance window, whatever), or changing the way you shut down the computer. The fact that you haven't explored these options and didn't make a backup of your computer before installing 10 to go back to reminds me people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. So, maybe you shouldn't think less of me for not having the problem, but consider what you might change so you don't either.