Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

System Properties is where it's always been - you can go through Control Panel ("Settings") or you can right click on computer ("This PC").

If the computer was fine, but slowed down relatively suddenly, I would look for a cause - damaged hardware, corrupted file system, possibly a full drive.

Yeah something with Windows is fucky. I found some restore points, but they all failed to restore. When I click on the start menu, and hit shutdown, nothing happens. I have to CTRL+ALT+DEL and shut down from that screen. Except sometimes, when it will shut itself down like 30 seconds later.

Ugh, guess I'll have to reinstall windows...

I would try some diagnostics first - hard drive surface scan, memtest, sfc would be good places to start.

First thing I'm going to do is uninstalling the most recent windows update, since that's when it started.

Well interesting things have happened. Right after that last post, I tried one more time to get to a restore point. After the restart, I logged in, then it just sat on the welcome screen, with the circle of dots spinning and spinning. I have to leave for work, so I just left it. No idea how long it sat. At least 5 minutes before I left.

When I got home, I got the same message that it failed to restore. I shut it down and did some other stuff, but when I came back and turned it on, it was much quicker. Not quite back to how it was but close enough. Shutdowns were back to normal too. I never actually changed anything. Then last night it did an automatic update and everything seems fine.

Oh well.

Windows. It just automagically works!

Junior Potato
    Hay guys, I need help.

I purchased Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3D on GOG.com ages ago, but never got it to work.

Nowadays it works, but to get a controller to work I need to uncheck the box for compatibility mode in the properties of the launcher.

I.E. you right-click the shortcut for the game, go to the compatibility tab, then make sure the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" has no tick in it.

That box is greyed out and I can't change it.

I've tried searching, even going as far as deleting it's relevant entry in the registry, but I've had no luck. Have any of you guys got an idea on how to fix this?

Is it possible you are trying to adjust compatibility settings on a program shortcut instead of on the program itself?

Junior Potato
    Yes, 100%, because both places that I read the instructions for what I'm trying to do said to do it on the shortcut.

But before you ask, yes, I did check the same thing on the actual .exe in the proper location

And yeah, it's the same result. The box is still greyed out. For reference I've used my m4d MS paint skillz to show you what I'm trying to turn off.

Click on "Change Settings for all users" and then try again.