Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Any difference if controller is on or off?

Disconnected dongle should have quite diminished impact.

Administrator
    Controller would definitely be off as the computer is just being turned on at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Despite the admonishing that this is not the right place, I figure I'll follow-up that it actually looks like it's the XBox One controller dongle that's preventing Windows from booting sometimes. It only happens if that's plugged in.
    Can you move your HDD up higher than USB in the list of boot devices in your BIOS? Some of my USB devices trigger a boot and some don't. Like my Garmin dongle is plugged in always but some other stuff (mostly thumb drives, admittedly) will trigger a boot from USB.

Administrator
    That's a good idea, hopefully I'll remember to do that one of these times when I boot up the machine.

Intermittently behaviouring computer program is always very peculiar.

Can you make it less or more likely by changing the port?

I think I'd get one of those usb voltage/current measuring dongles.

My old Win10 install at work was misbehaving. Wiped it this morning and touch wood it seems OK so far. I love that fresh, clean, Windows smell.

(I still can't see my bd drive but I think that's probably a motherboard sata port fault, even though I can see it in the bios. Never mind)

tsg, you might know this, though it's not really an enterprise issue.

Where are Windows Store apps/games installed? I can't find any reference to Forza on the machine at all, but I play FM6:A. My graphics card has the ability to change display preferences based on when the game .exe is launched but FM doesn't really have one.

Also, the Alienware Win10 Pro load is bloaty, but it's bloaty with Windows 10 stuff so it's probably not their fault. It has an uninstallable Office 365 'experience' which sucks for me since I have a licensed copy of Office 2016 and they're running side by side. Boo.

You can remove the O365 experience, but it will come back with virtually every update so it kinda sucks. There are definitely a few 10 things that are annoying and uninstallable without a lot of hassle... like, sending out XPS13s in the office with the Xbox app is dumb... and I can't be arsed to remove it the hard way.

Purchases from the store end up in c:\program files\windowsapps IIRC. For some apps you can change that path, for most you cannot. But you can forcibly move it in the registry under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App x\packageroot if you really want to. Be aware that some apps get seriously broken if you try to change their path... FH3 was one of them, for whatever reason. Windows has never been very good with "random" paths. I gave up caring in '98. NTFS is good enough that just one gigantic C: doesn't create a functional problem so I stopped fighting it.

I'm hoping to install FM7 to a non-OS SSD so that should be fun.

That's exactly what I tried to do with FH3 when I learned installing to non-default would totally break it. I think they fixed that, so hopefully FM7 doesn't have the issue at all.